LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buying a LR3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buying a LR3

Looking to getting an LR3 to replace our D1, been getting info from all the forums, I got two questions

Does the parking/hand brake activate on its own i.e removing the key or only when you push it?

Just read that there is no fuel filter to change, gota be one somewhere

thanks

Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Usually on automatics the hand brake is set to work when you pull the button. On manuals (we don't have in the us) it's set automatically when you take the key out. You can program to have the autos set that way too.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

We got our LR3 a month ago. Had a few small items to work out, the biggest of which was a swap of the suspension compressor. Pretty simple DIY. I got a replacement pump from a wrecked LR4 for cheap. I really like the truck, big upgrade over our DI and DIIs. Drives great and looks good doing it. Haven't taken it off road yet, although with the road here in San Diego it is almost like off-roading on a daily basis. We have a 2005 HSE. I do lament not having a cell phone module to enable the hands free option. They came standard on the 2006 as I recall. Something to consider. Replaced the rear pads and rotors this weekend, simple to do, almost like working on a Chevy Silverado. I used a lift which made the job even easier. Make sure the truck that you get has an extra key or plan on shelling out $400 or so for a replacement, the ebay remotes will not work. There is less info on the forums on the LR3, in large part because they are not nearly the maintenance hogs that the DI and the DII are/were. They also have different engines with far fewer issues than those in the DI and the DIIs. good luck with your hunt, there are some nice options out there, and gas prices are falling! What could be better. Good luck. Phil

2005 LR3 HSE 82,000 miles Tonga Green with Alpaca Interior

Old 10-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have also recently acquired an LR3 and still have the DII. First impressions are drastic and actually made me consider selling the DII for another LR3! This site (DISCO3.CO.UK - Index) seems to be the leader as far as maintenance/repair info is concerned. Other than that, I think the LR3 is a good option for those wanting a capable off-reader but don't want the maintenance of--or are not currently attached to--a particular DII.

On NAS vehicles fitted with a DMTL (Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage?) pump, the filler pipe connects to the pump vent port and is also connected to a filter which is attached to the filler head. From Topix:

The fuel pump module contains a number of components. The module comprises the fuel pump, the rear fuel level sensor, the rear jet pump, the pump inlet filter, a second fine mesh filter and the fuel pressure regulator, which is housed in a manifold that is mounted in the carrier assembly. Only the pump module assembly and level sensors are available as serviceable components, the individual assembly components are not available separately.

I am not sure if it is replaceable or not. I guess I will find out eventually. It's labeled #2 in the attached diagram...

Attached Thumbnails looking to buying a LR3-image.jpg  

Last edited by willrok13; 10-22-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Found more info. Sorry if this is too much lol

A pump inlet filter is attached to the pump inlet port at the bottom of the pump. The filter has a 'winged' section which is located vertically at the side of the pump to ensure that a portion of the filter is off the base of the swirl pot, to prevent
premature blocking of the filter. The filter has a 31 micron fine mesh filter with a surface area of 70 cm2 (10.8 in2).

A second fine mesh filter is located around the top of the fuel pump. This provides additional filtration to the fuel before it is passed into the manifold and onto the fuel rail. The filter has an electrical connection which is attached to ground. The ground is required to dissipate electrostatic charges that can build up on the fine filter.

The fuel filter outlet also incorporates a non-return valve which prevents fuel returning to the pump when the engine is not running. This ensures that system pressure is maintained in the fuel feed line to the fuel rail when the engine is not running.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys

LJDiscovery, as for the phone hands free thing, I fitted a Parrot MKi9200 Bluetooth ssystem in my 97 Jag and love it the music from the ipod is great

as for the Fuel filter/pump, I was wondering why a oz of gold was cheaper than a new fuel pump. I haven't come across reading of pump issues yet.

Going to see a 06 se with cold, lighting and HD options fitted and 88k on the clock. The XK8 will have to go

Also looking at the water pump I wonder if the jag 4.0 litre AJ engine water pump would be the same? looks every close on paper

Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Drifting
Default new Q about tow hitch

Another question if you please, What is the difference between the factory tow hitch receivers?

by looking at some posts and the newer models have a shorter style and the older a longer leg. I need to get my pintle hitch up as high as I can due to my M416 trailer and was thinking the newer is the one to go for.

Has anybody fitted the after market one?