LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to upgrade wife's vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade wife's vehicle

So, we currently both drive D2's. I have a '99, she has a '04. I've been tossing around the idea of getting her a LR3.

Are there any certain years to stay away from? Any certain issues to watch out for or stay away from?

Driving home today I spotted a white LR3 for sale... Private owner. Not sure on year or mileage, haven't called the number yet. Really clean looking truck... Asking $10,500. Which would tell me something's wrong, or high mileage. Unless the market has dropped off.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

...but '04 Discos are so nice!

If you search this forum you'll find more common problems than I can list but it's mostly differentials, bushings....hmmmm, lots of other stuff that seems to happen once but not again, like: tailgate handle/lock, EPB Actuator, brake pedal switch. Depending on the mileage the air shocks might need to be looked at.

I'm sure other folks will think of more stuff.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling

I know the '04 D2's are sought after trucks, but, we really like the '99 a lot better than the '04. It seams to ride better and rattle less than the '04 does. To me, the older one just seems to be a more solid vehicle than the '04 model. Plus, I'm slowly turning it into our 3rd vehicle option and off road toy as time goes on. It was the wife's first Land Rover and she's more attached to it than the newer one anyway... so the '99 stays and we'll get rid of the '04 when the time comes.

So, it's basically normal Land Rover type stuff that I need to look out for? I didn't know if there were any major concerns that I need to make sure the current owner has addressed or been aware of. For example, the D2's need to have the front drive shaft rebuilt to include grease zerks.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

Well I think I'd be VERY wary of what the previous owner has/hasn't done because it may lead to issues for you. For example if he/she hasn't ever changed the diff oil then the diffs may be well on their way out. We didn't really learn (as a community) that they really needed a fluid change somewhere around every 30k miles until many of us had experienced "failures." Put in quotes because this means loud noisy diffs that still technically functioned.

The tranny is said to have lifetime fluid but it should be changed somewhere around 100k miles. Again you'll have to hope the previous owner did this unless you find a later MY truck that hasn't hit that mileage benchmark yet.

Other than that, yes...typical Rover stuff. Great truck. Ridiculously capable off-road. You'll love it.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Initially we were looking at D2's but once we test drove an LR3, no looking back.
What a great riding vehicle. The bells and whistles are an added plus too.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I know the LR3 is a great vehicle as my sis-in-law has an '08 LR3. I've driven it many times and really like it. That's one reason we're looking at getting one. Can't quite afford the LR4, so a nice used 3 is in the mix.

The one I saw yesterday, I got some info on it.

- 2005, 137k miles (mostly highway) Current owner moved from Colorado to Oklahoma and made many trips in between last year.
- All maint. performed at Denver LR dealer. She said she could get all records of maint. from the dealer.
- New tires
- New alternator installed last year by local indie shop here in Tulsa, OK. I know of them, haven't used them.
- No mechanical issues as of yet.
- Front windshield is being replaced as we speak due to a chip/crack from a thrown rock on the highway.
- I asked about diff. fluid and transmission fluid being changed, she wasn't aware of it, but said the dealership may have done it when she took it in for service. Said that she'd take it in for oil change and they would do whatever needed to be done at the time. So, records should be available of what was done.
- She's asking 10,500, which is on par for NADA trade in value.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Colorado car - might have the e Diff!

I am biased, but my 3 is a 2005. The 2005 units have shall we say all the problems but since it is still on the road, they either never happened or have been fixed by now, hence if the body is good, I would probably look at it very positively.

Since it is a Colorado car, it will not have much rust and more importantly, it may have an Electronic Rear Differential. My Canada spec 3 does not, but I understand many of the original Colorado delivered units did.

Not having the e diff is no real short coming, but for those that have it, well it sure makes them feel good.

Probably the best 3 produced was the 2008 year vehicles. LR finally got it right by then. In 2009, they were messing around again introducing the 2010 LR4 systems to get a head start on how well they would function. There are not many 2009 around however as the economy went into a dive in late 2008.