LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 06 4.4l v8 idle issue -throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lr3 06 4.4l v8 idle issue -throttle body?

Ok have an 06 LR3 v8, idle has been dropping for a while now. Gotten slightly worse over time, now occasionally it drops down from 1K to 100 and will die occasionally, when sitting in park in driveway.

Took to a independent shop, they are telling me the throttlebody is bad and needs to be replaced (electronic) no way to clean, only way to fix it is to replace it. he said he would get back to me with a price.

Is this normal? it has 53K miles on it. What do you think is the issue?

Plus inner tie rods are bad (new this was a problem, last time changed out the lower control arms, kept doing the vibration thing. this isnt the issue.

Thanks Nick

The following users liked this post:
MattWayne (12-04-2022)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,

I have a 05 LR3 HSE with over 225K miles. I do not remember at what mileage point this happened but I experience a similiar fault. My idle was fluctuating and experienced cut offs as well. I took it to the LR dealership where I've taken it for all service and repair work. After having my LR3 in the shop over a week they determined it was the throttle body. They replaced the throttle body and it corrected the fault. I hope this helps.

Al

Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by VA-05LR3
Nick,

I have a 05 LR3 HSE with over 225K miles. I do not remember at what mileage point this happened but I experience a similiar fault. My idle was fluctuating and experienced cut offs as well. I took it to the LR dealership where I've taken it for all service and repair work. After having my LR3 in the shop over a week they determined it was the throttle body. They replaced the throttle body and it corrected the fault. I hope this helps.

Al
thanks. Shop called me back 800 for the throttle body, dont think so, i can buy it from dealership for 320. told them too much, then he said he got a maf...could be that as well, told him sorry not going to keep throwing expensive parts at it til it gets fixed. Letting him do the tie rod inners and picking it up and taking it to the stealership for throttlebody.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You could try cleaning the throttlebody, we clean them all the time. they get gummed up and cause the stalling.

But sometimes the electronic part fails and usually that makes the vehicle shut off randomly and not restart.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rovin4life:
Jeffquebec (07-10-2021), MattWayne (12-04-2022)
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM
TReK

Take a 6mm socket, remove the cover over the engine with it, then use a flat bladed screwdriver and pull out the intake tube and then use some carbon cleaner on the throttle body and use a finger to clean it out. Reinstall the tube and the cover and start it up it and let it run awhile. then restart clear any codes that might occur from the excess carbon cleaner going gown the intake and you will be fine.

if it still dies then put a tb in it.

MattWayne (12-04-2022)
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the response. Cleaned the throttle body and the maf and everything is good. No more problems, just saved myself $300 plus dollars. Tie rods replaced, now she drives a whole lot better
Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Take a 6mm socket, remove the cover over the engine with it, then use a flat bladed screwdriver and pull out the intake tube and then use some carbon cleaner on the throttle body and use a finger to clean it out. Reinstall the tube and the cover and start it up it and let it run awhile. then restart clear any codes that might occur from the excess carbon cleaner going gown the intake and you will be fine.

if it still dies then put a tb in it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
TReK

Where the crap are they getting a TB out high fuel trims. Just clean the throttle body with carbon clean and perform a Fuel injection service but only if the vacuum test comes up clean. You can do that yourself. Just take off the hose from the aircleaner box and put a really big can that fits the hole exactly and tighten the clamp so its tight seal. Then start the vehicle and wait for the engine to stall, if you hear the squeeling sound then there is a vacuum leak and the vehicle is trying to suck air thru it. If it stalls without that noise then just do the bg fuel injection service and you will be fine.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
4wd Low

found out the throttle body was just dirty, take it off and clean it and clean the air intake as well, solved my idle problems. Made the shop that told me it couldnt be cleaned do it. They said it was really dirty, no worries been a few months since and been driving like a champ since.

Originally Posted by aamees88
Where have you found a throttle body for $300.00? Mine needs to be replaced and the dealer quoted $575 for the throttle body with gasket, not including labor.

2007 Range Rover Sport HSE 4.4 V8 54,000mi

-dealer states high fuel trim levels.
-Vehicle idle fluctuates - dips below 500rpm sometimes

Old 12-04-2022, 10:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Gum buildup cleaned

On my 06 RR HSE 4.4 I read this thread, cleaned my throttle body inlet and it totally fixed my idle problem identical to OPs. Thanks y'all, because it's tough to find any internet help in these trucks!

P-Bod (12-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Lr3 06 4.4l v8 idle issue -throttle body?