LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 + AMK and an ill-fitting box

Old 02-23-2018, 03:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 + AMK and an ill-fitting box

I just replaced my Hitachi compressor with an AMK. The overall install wasn't bad... (the top mounting bolt is a giant pain, but slotting the bracket allows you to pre-thread the bolt and then hang the bracket like a coat hanger)

The suspension is working again, with no dash lights!

But I'm having a hell of a time getting the cover to fit right...

Has anyone done this replacement before with the kit and gotten the cover to line up properly? I know it's supposed to clip in over/behind the valve block mount... Any tips?

(It's an '08 LR3 SE 4.4L with 145k. I also have the Rear A/C which might have some pipes in the way...)

Old 02-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not completely clear, when you got the AMK, did you also get the new box for it? They are different.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:07 PM
4wd Low

Oh sorry. Yeah. It's the box that came with the new kit.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:10 PM
Rock Crawling

I personally found the AMK compressor and cover to much easier to install vs. the hell it was to get the old Hitachi down (top bolt). My cover doesn't seem as tight of a fit, and while I didn't measure it, it seems to sit just a little lower.

Also, did you modify the one line that required some modification (if memory serves) as shown in the directions? I could see that causing a problem.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 02-23-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:18 PM
4wd Low

Hmmmm... Do you remember if you set the cover up in place before screwing down the bracket? The top cover has a bunch of squishy outcroppings that would seem to make it more difficult to fit flush against the frame... Maybe one of those outcroppings is supposed to be pinched between the bracket and the frame...?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by thartek
Hmmmm... Do you remember if you set the cover up in place before screwing down the bracket? The top cover has a bunch of squishy outcroppings that would seem to make it more difficult to fit flush against the frame... Maybe one of those outcroppings is supposed to be pinched between the bracket and the frame...?
I believe I installed the top (loosely) before mounting the compressor bracket first. It's been a few months since I did mine, but I think I installed the bracket minus the compressor, then added the compressor. There was lots of foul language and a few beers involved. My wife smartly kept the kids out of the garage that day.

On a side note, I thought my tank was fine, but the new compressor was still running a lot, and after looking harder, there was some rust where the tank is very close to the frame rail. Wasn't visible, but spraying some leak detector on it I could some bubbles.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 PM
4wd Low

Yup, there were quite a few swears hahaha.

I sprayed the tank the last with soapy water last week. No bubbles, but there was a good bit of rust. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Tomorrow I'll loosen the bolts on the bracket and try to get the cover in there correctly. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The cover with my Hitachi>AMK conversion didn't fit very well either. The piece that goes behind the valve block didn't fit well and one of the front clips was a pain to snap in. Hope I don't have too much water and gunk getting in there.
I can't believe the job only took me one go and I have no leaks. The top bolt was as described - a PITA.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 PM
4wd Low

Well, it's "done". I got the box on and closed... I had to squeeze it closed and push up on the bottom to get the clips to connect. Just in time for a powder ski day yesterday!

And I definitely had to modify the cover. There was too much foam keeping the cover away from the frame and making it difficult to fit. The wiring harness runs through the box and in front of the valve block. I probably could have tried to route this better, because closing the front end of it was difficult. Also, I needed to trim where the wiring harness entered the box from above, I marked it with the circle in the picture.

I, fortunately, had two of the top covers so I could compare it with the original before I took the compressor back off (more on that later). Here's a comparison shot of the new and old covers and where I trimmed the cover and foam.

I mentioned this before, but I took a hacksaw to the bracket and it made the install MUCH easier. It lets you thread the top screw in a bit first, and then hang the bracket over it. I cut along both of the red lines so it leaves a bolt-sized channel. I cut it at a downward angle from the hole so it wouldn't slip out.

How I cut the compressor mounting bracket to make it easier to install

Old 02-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Smart. Wish I had this 2 weeks ago

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LR3 + AMK and an ill-fitting box