LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Amp Logic 7

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts
Default LR3 Amp Logic 7

So is the amp really under the passenger seat? Took it out. When out all I had was the LR logo on the NAV screen. Lost everything else. But I took it apart, its not much of an "amp" form what I can tell. Half the dang thing is just a heat sink. A few ICs here and there but compared to other amps, its nothing. Is there a secondary amp that actually powers the speakers some place or does this weak looking thing really do it?

On a side note, I found some issues. Cracked solder joints, so I reflowed them all. But also some heat transfer pads had leaked an odd "oil" onto the board. I washed the board up to remove it and it took a lot of work. Alcohol would not even break it down. If there is any chance that stuff was conductive, I can see why the amps would die (again, still assuming is little weakling is the amp). Sadly after that work there was no change, still no audio. I did not have the meter handy to test power going to it, I will still have to do that. The optic lead, one was lit as expected.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The amp is just a simple solid state device but yes, all the canbus data for the entire infotainment system runs through it.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Yup its the amp, and exactly as above, its a hub for the CANBUS.

There was a place that rebuilt broken ones to some extent, not sure if they are still around (somewhere in CA?). Otherwise Abran got one for me last year that just popped in and worked.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling

I got my replacement from eBay last year for $150 - that was an amazing deal. Good luck: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+xqk500105+amp

Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Camel Trophy

I would rather not buy used if I can avoid it. I will look into a rebuild.

From the diagrams, the amp gets power simply via RED and BLACK wires. I check mine and there is voltage. Audio signal is via the fiber optic MOST connection. One being lit is from head unit and the other is output to other systems, so if its disconnected there is a break in the optic line which is why the system faults. The wires on the back of the amp are pretty simple. Green wires with wire lines go to various speakers. The yellow wires, on two plugs, head off to the headphone units with controls for rear passengers. So there are no input wires. Its pretty simple wiring then.

So from what I can tell, my amp is indeed dead. I wish someone was local with a spare Logic 7 on hand to swap in. I did pull the entire seat to also check out wiring but even though I had water in there, the wires looked fine. And given the wiring setup, I don't think a bad wire would cause this issue.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Camel Trophy

We'll I looked on eBay and found one for $185. I made an offer for $50 less. With shipping that $150 also. Fingers crossed it works otherwise I will have two for rebuilding! But if thats the case, I can probably have the work done and come out breaking even.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Every single one you find is probably used.

Go to a dealer and ask them what the new part MSRP is... and I bet you rebuilding one will be more expensive than used. It's not like they break all the time anyway.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling

The new part number is LR039436 and retail is $1568 YIKES
Here's one on eBay for $900
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...RZxSsV&vxp=mtr

I'd buy 3 used before I ever did that!

Old 12-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DavC
Every single one you find is probably used.

Go to a dealer and ask them what the new part MSRP is... and I bet you rebuilding one will be more expensive than used. It's not like they break all the time anyway.

Indeed. I just don't like putting old parts in to fix something. Rather rebuild or go new. I knew that new would be out of question. But I trust a rebuild over a used. With that said, I bought that one because it was an excellent deal. Most seem to sell for much more. So I will take a gamble this time. As for cost of rebuilding, I can get it done for about $40.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
As for cost of rebuilding, I can get it done for about $40.
Post back with the results of the rebuild then.

Quick Reply: LR3 Amp Logic 7