LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Coil Over Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

OK. I'm calling it out - This sounds way too promotional to me.
2 different accounts, both their first post in here, on this forum.

I'm calling Shenanigans.

Dave

Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghaniba - Call it what you wish, but it is nothing but an honest post by two guys who did their own coil over conversion. We decided to post on this forum hoping to help others struggling with this decision, since there is very little offered on this site to help. I (GR33N R0V3R) am the owner. TDW315 did the conversion in his garage. See photos. I have been on Defender Source for over a year (same member name), and R3D R0V3R was my college roommate (he posts all the time). I had dinner and drinks with R3D R0V3R and a group of NYC Defender owners three weeks ago, and there were two LR dealer mechanics at the bar. It was after discussing with them that the decision was made. Again, the decision is personal to me (I gave you my honest reason for doing it).

You are welcome to drive to Iowa to inspect my three Rovers for yourself. Send me a personal note and I'll give you the address. I'll have cold beer waiting.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 AM
5th Gear

Here's my '97 (JDM) NAS D90. Her name is Yuki (Japanese for "snow").

Attached Thumbnails LR3 Coil Over Conversion-dsc_0245.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

If it helps, I have seen Green Rover posting on D-90 for quite some time.

I'd even still take those tired old air struts lol

Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Guys
Thank you for sharing this, though I will do all I can to maintain the EAS I was interested in the results and other info you posted.

Ok, we don't all agree with what others do with their cars, but if it makes us happy whats the harm. The EAS is expensive to maintain and there comes a time when you have to question the worth in putting a lot of money into a aging vehicle.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
OK. I'm calling it out - This sounds way too promotional to me.
2 different accounts, both their first post in here, on this forum.

I'm calling Shenanigans.

Dave

Nope. I'm just an Anything Auto Enthusiast, posting "REAL" info on the LR3 convert, because the info. one googles is sparce and outdated to say the least.

I posted for Gr33n Rov3r as I took pics along the install to share on the LR3 forum, in an attempt to pay if forward for all the info I've learned and googled for many auto projects.

In fact, he mentioned it took 4 months to decide... I played Devils advocate all along the way having him research each kit available, CALL them directly to answer specific questions etc... We also looked into options to rebuild the compressor/dryer, valve assemble etc... We ALMOST redid the compressor, Dryer... but being he is keeping for the long haul, I swayed him on the Coil over conversion enough for him to MAKE the call.

I was concerned about the AB standard rear springs being sacky or dumpy from a 2008 you tube post on a LR3. I also have had good luck with the Strutmaster kit with Eibach springs on my Ford Expedition. But, Strutmasters doesn't have the reflash module for the LR3 yet... and the pesky dash light would haunt Gr33n Rov3r forever. We even tried to buy the Strutmasters kit and the AB reflash. No go.

So he opted for the AB kit with standard springs. It suits the purpose for him 100%. We worried the "old man emu" springs upgrade from AB would be overly stiff... but I'd probably have gone the stiffer spring route if it were my LR3. We have the option to install coil spring spacers or an air lift 1000 system if the need ever calls for it. Both would increase the spring rate for under $100. I've found the hard way it's easier to stiffen coil springs than soften. :-)

Personally, I'd like to see AB go a little stiffer on the rear with the standard setup as like Gr33n Rover said there's a little more body roll than before. I never rode in the LR3 pre convert for comparison. But, it's still a very good ride, predictable, progressive in that it's soft at first then stiffens.

I sat my 230 lb body in the rear seat, and the rear didn't drop a 1/4"... So AB may not be far off from overall best compromise in spring rate.

So Dave, think what you want, but everything I've posted is 100% factual and objective (not subjective) based on my install. Being an avid google searcher for all my mechanical projects, I'll say it again... I'm just paying if forward for any other LR3 owners who will be facing EAS issues.

Happy trails

Last edited by TDW315; 05-27-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo / pics
Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I find it kind of intriguing that a guy that owns a '97 Defender (erroneously reported as an '85 by TDW) AND a pretty new LR4 is worried about the cost to maintain a superior suspension. I also think that it's a horrible choice for a teenager's driving machine. There are plenty of safe, slow vehicles available that aren't as costly to maintain, poor on gas mileage, and otherwise so nuanced. I also am shocked that he got more out of his (same year) Jeep Wrangler NON-RUBICON (hell not even a Sahara) than he paid for this LR3. I recognize the mileage difference but something doesn't add up. Maybe there is a reason he only got 1500 miles out of his EAS.

Oh, finally....nobody on this forum (or others) are "struggling" with the decision to do this conversion or not, because it's generally regarded and understood as a stupid decision.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM
5th Gear

Thanks again TDW315. Truth be told, he was trying hard to sell me on fixing the EAS and selling the LR3. Told me my daughter would be better off in a RAV4 or a CR-V. What kind of LR Enthusiast would I be if I let him talk me into that? I'll take the converted LR3 HSE with its many bells and whistles and V8 every day of the week!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

Wow "houm_wa"! Now I know why I don't post on this site. What a jerk. I'll return to D-Source where everyone doesn't know it all and think any opposing opinion is worthless.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I find it kind of intriguing that a guy that owns a '97 Defender (erroneously reported as an '85 by TDW) AND a pretty new LR4 is worried about the cost to maintain a superior suspension. I also think that it's a horrible choice for a teenager's driving machine. There are plenty of safe, slow vehicles available that aren't as costly to maintain, poor on gas mileage, and otherwise so nuanced. I also am shocked that he got more out of his (same year) Jeep Wrangler NON-RUBICON (hell not even a Sahara) than he paid for this LR3. I recognize the mileage difference but something doesn't add up. Maybe there is a reason he only got 1500 miles out of his EAS.

Oh, finally....nobody on this forum (or others) are "struggling" with the decision to do this conversion or not, because it's generally regarded and understood as a stupid decision.

I've only seen his Defender once... and forgive me for not getting the year right...

AS for your comments... each has a right to their own opinion. Again, more guys will be Thankful for the info, than not. It's their decision. Here's some info and pics to help them decide no matter how they decide to roll.

Posting this on a LR3 Enthusiasts forum I'd hope there would be more guys faithful to the engineers at LR with $$ to throw away on the "EXPENSIVE" EAS.

They may not be struggling with the decision, but they will be struggling with their pocket books paying to keep their EA$ system operational! I'm sure you can attest to that fact having had your LR3 at the dealer for 2 weeks for EAS issues, replaced an air shock already, ECU issues etc... I believe your adventures are just beginning with the EAS, ride height sensors, air valves, shocks/struts, ECU...

I'm laughing at you just thinking about how much you've spent and will continue to spend on your EAS.

I commend my buddy who has put all the EAS issues behind him. His daughter will be safe driving a 6,000 Sherman tank for her 1 mile commute to School.

Lastly, I sold his Jeep for $3,000 more than I found his LR3 for him! It was LOADED with JL Audio goodies, and Ultra low miles... And it's what I do full time.

Last edited by TDW315; 05-27-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: pic

Quick Reply: LR3 Coil Over Conversion