LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Coil Over Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Hey...how about both of you just stop and think critically about your post. Don't call ME out and try to twist it up. I have posted on this board for a LONG time, and I am polite to posters and state differences of opinion at face value and also facts.

You guys are the ones that stated the reasons for choosing the LR3 for the high schooler as being based on weight, DSC, AWD, etc....many other vehicles have those characteristics and are cheaper to own and operate. That's all. That is a fact based observation. Yes I called the decision "horrible" based on the rationale that was provided. If you'd said "I really wanted my little girl to have a Rover" I would totally understand that. My 6 year old daughter LOVES our LR3 and she will fight over it with her siblings in 10 years, I'm sure.

The other things...yeah I stand by them in terms of their content. If I was harsh with my language it's because again I sensed some conveyance of a non-fact that people were "struggling" with this decision (sort of like when you called the EAS problematic) when in fact few people are.

Rhetoric and inflammatory language bring out the worst in me...the "jerk" in me, as it were.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy

All in all, from a technical standpoint, I love your post. I'm glad to have it on this board. If you want to take it a step further and do some "flexy" shots and post them...or take the LR3 "coiler" on some mild trails and report results, that would be awesome. It's mostly conjecture that so much off-roading capability is lost. Few people have wheeled coilers to know....especially with the AB conversion (maybe none?)

Sorry if I hurt your feelings with saying the decision is "stupid." ...not calling you stupid though. I made a stupid decision to try and keep my LR sidesteps....I even spent $800 to skid-plate them! I ended up destroying them and literally throwing them in the dumpster and then spending another $1500 (or whatever it was) on RS Sliders. I could've sold the sidesteps before I wrapped them around rocks and trees and sunk the profits into the sliders! I consider myself a smart person...but that decision was STUPID.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Hey...how about both of you just stop and think critically about your post. Don't call ME out and try to twist it up. I have posted on this board for a LONG time, and I am polite to posters and state differences of opinion at face value and also facts.

You guys are the ones that stated the reasons for choosing the LR3 for the high schooler as being based on weight, DSC, AWD, etc....many other vehicles have those characteristics and are cheaper to own and operate. That's all. That is a fact based observation. Yes I called the decision "horrible" based on the rationale that was provided. If you'd said "I really wanted my little girl to have a Rover" I would totally understand that. My 6 year old daughter LOVES our LR3 and she will fight over it with her siblings in 10 years, I'm sure.

The other things...yeah I stand by them in terms of their content. If I was harsh with my language it's because again I sensed some conveyance of a non-fact that people were "struggling" with this decision (sort of like when you called the EAS problematic) when in fact few people are.

Rhetoric and inflammatory language bring out the worst in me...the "jerk" in me, as it were.

As a Senior member of an LR3 specific post... your comments DO little to encourage new posters from sharing / discussing LR3 info that you don't happen to like or care for.

Well, Thanks to you houm_wa, this will be my LAST post. After taking the time to post objective factual info, to help others, and I find myself defending my character and honesty. In fact, I'm already regretting posting here at all at what has proven to be a complete waste of my time.

So, bugger off houm_wa, you've showed your true colors and I'll let others decide how helpful your posts are. Not worth a damn in my book, but like yours, that's just my opinion.

Good bye LR3 enthusiasts! And good riddance to houm_wa!!

Last edited by TDW315; 05-27-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm delighted to know I'm incorrect, and it's just a very odd occurrence that two people made their first post in the same thread on a topic they just did.

I apologize that my spidey senses annoyed, and quite frankly, started this threads demise. I do personally appreciate real world feedback on the conversion to coils.

I had considered it, when anything goes wrong with mine. If for no other reason than reading of the D2 air issues, or my direct experience of the old Mercedes hydraulic rear suspension. That one I dumped pile after pile of cash to just suffer with it repeatedly. I think I spent 4x what the coil conversion was in trying to get it to work, and had replaced -everything- in the system. I ended up selling that car when the pump began to leak a 2nd time...

After experiencing the LR3 air suspension, I'm not sure I could go to coils.

Dave

Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Eas...

....13" of ground clearance, and it articulates!! No reason to get rid of it. I was harsh on those posters, especially after you opened the flood gates, Dave!

...but there were a lot of holes and outlandish statements.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 Coil Over Conversion-articulation.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still considering doing this. Thanks for the right up. To each his own when dealing with YOUR vehicle right?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy

Absolutely....

Old 06-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For those considering a coil conversion, I experienced something on January 1st this year which made me realize the increased value of EAS when off-roading. While returning from exploring, I was going uphill on a steep, snow-covered, rutted trail when the vehicle came to a halt even as the wheels were turning. My LR3 automatically raised to extended mode as shown on the message center in order to rise above an obstruction and then continued right along. I will gladly pay to keep the system functioning as designed since I place a very high value on not getting stuck.

-Rob

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (06-01-2015)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:30 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the Atlantic British conversion with the plus 2" about 6 months ago, I do quite a bit of off road, I live on a farm and my friends and I play quite a bit in the local shale pit.
Thought I'd share my experiences with you.
A little history first, I'm from the UK raised in the Highlands of Scotland on a farm, family had Landies, defenders and RR as long as I can remember....Now in Eastern Canada, before buying my 08 LR3 I had a disco 2 that also had been converted to springs long before I got it, did lots of mud splashing and snow treks with her.
Bought my LR3 about 2 years ago, ran with the air suspension for 18 months, had constant issues with the system, tried and spent 1000's on trying to fix it, all to no avail. I liked the suspension, I bought Johnsons rods to raise her when needed as i do quite a bit of mud flinging and off road driving, they worked well when I needed the extra height...about twice.
After 1000's of bucks of repairs my air system still kept failing, the final straw was when I was left stranded a long way from home, I decided to get the conversion.
The shock spring conversion I bought has the old man emu set up, gives me the 2" from stock height raise.
On the highway, I really don't notice any difference vehicle is tight and with my 19s and snow tires I feel safe (it does not run or feel like a jeep) my friend has a 2016 ***** jeep and my ride is a lot smoother), off the highway I feel just as confident in my vehicle. Though I have had one situation where a lift would have been nice to get me out of a snow hang up (nothing a winch out didn't fix).
So bottom line, I loved the air suspension, it was cool, when it worked well it was great, but honestly I really don't notice much difference at all, certainly not one that would make me go back to the stress and cost of the constantly failing air suspension...nothing wrong with either, I actually prefer the shocks and springs.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EAS Reflash Device

I purchased a air to coil conversion on my 2005 LR3. The kit I bought did not come with the Reflash device. So, I need to find one, does anyone know where I can purchase one?

Quick Reply: LR3 Coil Over Conversion