LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 died while driving - common?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 died while driving - common?

My daughter claims she was driving down the street when the car (2006 LR3) just died.
Engine shut off and all the gauges, radio etc shut off.
After sitting there a few minutes while she was calling me for help, she was able to start it.

Anybody here have any similar experience or knowledge?

We recently replaced the ECU/fusebox (under the glovebox)

I'm taking it to the shop and have any codes read

Very concerned this could happen in traffic causing an accident.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I've had my LR3 for 11 years now, and have been on various message boards throughout that time. Such an issue is certainly not common. If I've EVER heard of something like that happening, it would have been one time, ten years ago. Even that one may have been prior to (and related to) the fuel tank recall of 2006.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

A friend of mine who is sporadically on this board said he went off roading a few weeks ago in 100 degree plus weather and over a 6 hour trek his 3 shut off 4 different times only to start back up immediately after dying. My guess was his battery cables were loose, but I/He have not checked.

Definitely bizarre.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmmm....how would loose batt cables cause it to die as it was running? Either way, that's bizarre...on both counts.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I had a D2 that died while driving and the cable came loose, re connected and all was good.

Just tested the cable theory on my 3, and engine didn't skip a beat.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

With the number of communication issues that those of us with code readers tend to see and clear, I'd have to guess that a problem like this may be related to an intermittent communication failure. Possibly between the ECU and some other important "brain" in the car?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Comm issues are so common; if they could possibly cause such a major issue such as shutting off while in use, we'd have heard about it and/or there would be a recall for that.

I personally think it's user error of some form. Even the OP starts out his/her post with "My daughter claims..." so I think we'd have to know more about the EXACT conditions when this event happened. To my point, was she idling and coming to a stop? Or was her foot on the gas pedal? HUGE difference. What was the behavior of the vehicle prior? Any fault indications illuminated? CEL?

Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Overlanding

My daughter is definitely not a car person, so I too took her description with a grain of salt. However she said the gauges went dead and she had to restart the car.

The car checked out diagnostically, except for an almost failing battery, so they put a new one in and the alternator checked out.

Hopefully it wont happen again.
My main concern was her safety and the risk of it happening with her in traffic, hwy, interstate etc.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:02 PM
Camel Trophy

If you want peace of mind, try to get some details from your daughter in terms of the conditions of the event. I have had my LR3 die on me at idle coming to a stop, but that was due to a bad Thermostat. At least I think that was it; may have been the MAF Sensor.

Anyway, at least ask her if her foot was on the gas pedal or if she was idling or braking and please report back. I am also interested in what would be a safety issue.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Overlanding

She said she was going up hill with her foot on the gas. Wasn't coasting or braking.

Quick Reply: LR3 died while driving - common?