LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Door will not lock or unlock

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Door will not lock or unlock

Ok i have reviewed all the forums on this and tried everything prior to taking to dealer. I wanted to try everything before taking to dealer.

Problem: Door will not lock or Unlock via Key nor via the manual key hole.

Solutions Tried: Fob: Opened door panel and verified the 3 wires are ok but re connected and taped with Electrical tape just in case. Looked at the RF Transmitter behind the Overhead lights (I still think this is wants died but could be wrong)

Stressful Part: in 1800$ so far with the dealer. Said I needed new keys and they did not work.

Question: What is the wire connected to in the door (looked though PDF docs on the wiring and such but no docs on the RF Transmitter anywhere)

Solution Tried: Manual door lock unlock via Key in Drivers door. Used graphite (Dealer did it with no luck they say they are ordering a new part and need to wait a week to get it)

Worries: How much more needless cash do I need to spend. Needless to say I am not going back to the dealer and I am going to a British local mechanic.

Question: Anyone have any other ideas that I could try?

2005 LR3 SE 4.4L(V8)

Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Overlanding

ok i found a post on a hard reset and I can now manually lock and unlock the door.

Disco3Club The Discovery 3 and 4 Owners Club • View topic - How To, Hard Reset on a D3

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The disco3 site/forum is a great resource - there are some very smart guys there and it's my number one go to place for Rover foibles ;-)

Surprised that a manual unlock was affected by any of the battery reset but hey, life is full of surprises.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Just the drivers door?

Do the other 3 doors lock and unlock with the push button?

If not, do you have a second key and if so, same results?

If it is just the drivers door, then the problem is within the door or a wire feeding to the door.

If it is all the door locks not working with either of the remotes, then there are possible solutions that cost very little to fix but are difficult to find - in brief a corroded splice point joining three wires together down in the front door sill wiring bundle. Below is a typical disco3 thread that can answer a lot of questions. Some of those wires feed back to the roof receiver transmitter but the odds are the transmitter part is OK - the problem will be key fob or wiring related. Replacing parts is too easy a fix.

The mechanical door lock is totally mechanical, hence the hard reset should not resolve the problem but that does suggest something electrical is confused - hence good news. If the problem is just the drivers door, the various mechanical links can get out of order; once untangled, they work again, hence the question, just the drivers door or all the doors?

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic54235.html?highlight=key+fob+remote+receiver

This is a link to the door lock wiring diagrams.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/15405/LR3_Door_Lock_wiring_diagrams_p_222_to_226%7E0.pdf

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Overlanding

None of the doors will lock and unlock with any of the 4 Keys

Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Default That is good news.

Good, the odds are the problem is something common to all then. That makes it easier as not all the key fobs quit at the same time unless the problem is external to the key fobs.

The real problem you have is that you need somewhere warm to work as best first guess is to finding that splice per the previous links. I think that there is a spice on both sides but start on the passenger side.

The splice is within the wiring bundle located in the under door sill between the front of the seat and where the door hinges are. You are looking for green and green white wires. There is also a splice with small thin red wires. Those wires provide power to the power window switch lights. The thin green ones are to the door locks and they do not carry a current but more of a pulse signal. When you find the splice, just replace it with either one of those telephone squeeze connectors or a small marette. You are dealing with milliamp pules signals here so not much corrosion can be a show stopper.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Overlanding

is there a PDF in Workshop Manual on removing these panels? I have have not found one yet

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Evan Wiley
is there a PDF in Workshop Manual on removing these panels? I have have not found one yet
There probably is under Body but the plastic is primarily locked in place with those metal U clips Land Rover so loves. Just pull up evenly but not so gently and they release. You will lose a
few down in never never land so prepare to purchase more from LR. I just forget now but there may be a couple of Phillips screws to undo on the vertical bits but if so, they are not hidden.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Part numbers for clips.

IPN500090 is the LR part number for the clips that retain the plastic of the door sill to the whatever that is below. These are more V shaped dull brown clips. These clips run about a dollar each.

FYC500040 is the LR part number for the clips that retain the radio surround and most other dash pieces. They are the U shaped shiny metal clips. They cost about four dollars each.

The jpg below is one I found in one of the forums that shows the splice location. I think there is another on the other side as well.

Let us know how it goes - if and where you find the green wires.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 Door will not lock or unlock-green-white-wire-splice-img_1318.jpg   LR3 Door will not lock or unlock-green-white-wire-splice-img_1317.jpg  
Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I've had just the same problem. Apparently, these are two different problems. The remote unlock didn't work because of the green/white wires splicing on the passenger side went bad and the door lock stopped working simply because of the key blade has been worn off too much. Here is a quick video on how to find the splicing
Buy the new battery casing better with a new battery (there are a few on eBay) then cut the blade at the lock smith. You won't need to reprogram the key or anything. All fix would cost $20 and a couple of hours of work.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (08-29-2019)

Quick Reply: LR3 Door will not lock or unlock