LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 DSC on sharp curves

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Default LR3 DSC on sharp curves

So the last couple of times I drove my LR3, I noticed that on certain sharp turns, always left, the DSC triangle warning light comes on and I hear the ABS modulator doing its thing.

On Friday I had a local shop replace the lower control arms and as part of that they did an alignment. This kind of has me thinking Steering Angle Sensor. I just did a calibration using my hawkeye, but I haven't had a chance to drive it since.

Are there any other things that come to mind that could set off the DSC warning?

Also, if it IS the steering angle, what OTHER symptoms might that generate? There reason I ask, is that on Saturday I also towed a trailer for the first time (with the 90 on the back of it), and I noticed a weird sway from the LR3 kind of a rocking from the front left corner to the right rear corner. I was kind of thinking it might be warn out shocks, but now I'm wondering if maybe this might be a symptom of the same issue?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

If you want to see if your shocks are worn out just put it on a lift and look for contact between the upper control arms and the shocks. If the your steering angle sensor were out-of-whack you'd likely get faults...I've had SAS issues in the past and it has cause faults. Could the DSC be engaged due to sharp cornering on worn tires? How many miles on your Michelins?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by houm_wa
If you want to see if your shocks are worn out just put it on a lift and look for contact between the upper control arms and the shocks. If the your steering angle sensor were out-of-whack you'd likely get faults...I've had SAS issues in the past and it has cause faults. Could the DSC be engaged due to sharp cornering on worn tires? How many miles on your Michelins?
I'll look into that. I don't have Michelins, I've got some cheapo nexan tires. They are pretty worn, and not evenly due to the lower arm bushings being worn out.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
So the last couple of times I drove my LR3, I noticed that on certain sharp turns, always left, the DSC triangle warning light comes on and I hear the ABS modulator doing its thing.

On Friday I had a local shop replace the lower control arms and as part of that they did an alignment. This kind of has me thinking Steering Angle Sensor. I just did a calibration using my hawkeye, but I haven't had a chance to drive it since.

Are there any other things that come to mind that could set off the DSC warning?

Also, if it IS the steering angle, what OTHER symptoms might that generate? There reason I ask, is that on Saturday I also towed a trailer for the first time (with the 90 on the back of it), and I noticed a weird sway from the LR3 kind of a rocking from the front left corner to the right rear corner. I was kind of thinking it might be warn out shocks, but now I'm wondering if maybe this might be a symptom of the same issue?
I know this was a long time ago but what did it end being? My 2008 lr3 just did this today on a left hand turn.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think new tires fixed it, but it’s been a few years and I had two LR3 in that time, so I may be confused.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I think new tires fixed it, but it’s been a few years and I had two LR3 in that time, so I may be confused.
Dang, my tires have less than 10k miles on them. I don't think thats my problem, im wondering about a wheel speed sensor. Thanks for replying, if figure it out I'll post it here.