LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Electric Parking Brake Intermittent Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 06:50 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LR3 Electric Parking Brake Intermittent Issue

I just purchased a 2008 LR3 4.4L SE. with 123,000 miles. I've put about 1,000 miles on it since and have just recently started having issues with the electric parking brake gradually engaging all on it's own (right rear wheel only). While driving, I can feel a vibration from the right side of the vehicle - very similar to a warped rotor. The vibration will slowly get worse and is especially pronounced when braking and on 2 separate occasions I've noticed a burning rubber smell. While parked at stop light or sign, I can engage and release the parking brake with the center console button and the vibration will go away for a time - but eventually gradually return. Also, if I hit a rough patch of road or pot holes, this will "knock" the electric parking brake loose as well.

I've verified that it is only effecting the right passenger wheel by checking the tires, wheels, and rotors after each trip - the rear right wheel will be warm, and the rotor will be too hot to touch. The left rear and both front wheels are cold. I have not seen any glazing or 'blueing" of the rotors due to heat.

This is an intermittent problem and doesn't happen with each trip. I mainly do city driving and my daily commute is 12 miles round trip. The previous owner had the rear brakes (pads and rotors) replaced at and independent rover shop at 117,000 miles.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions where to start diagnosing an solution?

Old 04-05-2022, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Look over this. You will be removing your rear rotor and inspecting, adjusting, etc.

Attached Files
Old 04-06-2022, 08:02 AM
Mudding

Already downloaded! I figured I’d would need to remove and inspect the brake assembly. Just trying to figure out if I should plan ahead and replace the shoes, and/or all the springs and pins.

even though it doesn’t seem to be a caliper issue, it might make sense to replace the brake hose as well. A lot of research seems to suggest this hose can cause a lot of weird problems as it degrades or is damaged.

thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated

Old 04-07-2022, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Could *possibly* also be a problem with the abs triggering on that wheel due to speed sensor and/or slightly different diameter tires etc. ABS / traction control can get trigger happy going over rough spots, potholes etc. if you've got something not quite right in those systems.
But if it definitely goes away when you manually engage/disengage the parking brake then I'd for sure look there first.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:55 AM
Mudding

I'll keep this in mind, thanks for the suggestion. The previous owner put slightly larger tires on the truck (Nitto Terra Grappler G2). The sensors are also pretty sensitive to tire pressure as well with these tires - I'm pretty sure they barely meet spec for minimal load rating. I wouldn't be surprised if these tires are a contributing factor to braking issue.

The following users liked this post:
tracyc (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

No tire should me more/less sensitive to pressures, that makes no sense. The sensors simply tell the TPM what they are and the TMU has thresholds. They should not cause braking issues either.... usually more aggressive tires help with braking. You should check the tire specs and make sure they are either XL or H-rated sidewalls or better. Keep in mind tires are spaced for loaded weights. Its not often you will load an LR3 to its max weight.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:07 PM
Mudding

I haven't had a chance to inspect the parking brake shoes or "drums" (inside hub of rotor), but have went ahead and ordered replacement shoes and hardware just in case.

As to the tires, they are XL rated. The TPMS system must be sensitive to pressure deviations between tires. I keep them at 38-40psi. If I have extra passengers in the rear seats or if there is a large fluctuation in outdoor temp during the day - I'll get a check tire pressure warning on the gauge cluster.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Mudding

Replaced the barking brake shoes and hardware, there was definitely brake dust on the inside of the drums/rotor. Re-lubed the rotor pads where they come in contact with the calipers while I was down there. Followed the bedding procedure precisely. All said and done, the right wheel and brake were warmer then the left side. Not convinced the problem is solved. I’ll drive to work tomorrow and report back!

Old 04-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Mudding

Drove 5 miles to work this morning. Could definitely feel the brakes dragging while driving - condition was similar to before replacing the parking brake, just to a lesser extent. Felt the wheels and rotors when I parked, right rear wheel was warm, the rest were cold. I'll continue to monitor and try the adjustment procedure one more time, then report back.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like you might need new caliper and hose...

Quick Reply: LR3 Electric Parking Brake Intermittent Issue