LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Electric Parking Brake Intermittent Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 03:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Yeah... are you certain its the parking shoes drawing and not the brake caliper?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Took off my wheel and caliper/shoes and I noticed the rotor had a little wobble/play. It appears the set screw wasn't properly torqued - I should have used medium duty thread lock. I suspect this may be contributing to unwanted brake shoe contact. In addition I backed off the parking brake shoes 2 more "clicks". This seems to have done the job. For those keeping count, I backed off the parking brake shoes a total of 10 "clicks".

Old 05-02-2022, 11:16 AM
Camel Trophy

The rotor is, ultimately, held in place by the wheel so it can’t wobble. Never use thread lock on that rotor screw. I put anti seize on mine. They can be hell to remove otherwise.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Unless the rear bearing is bad....??

Old 05-04-2022, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

After your next drive, rather than feel the rotor, check the caliper for heat. If the caliper itself is hot to the touch, or noticeably warmer than the others, then you have a caliper that is seizing. Any part of the brakes (parking shoes or calipers) seizing will make the rotor hot, so you need to narrow your search.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for all the input, I’ll check the calipers after my next trip to work.

I don’t suspect it’s a wheel bearing, there aren’t any clicking/knocking/grinding noises.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Confirmed, after my 8 mile commute to work, the caliper is also warm - slight warped rotor sensation while drive (break pedal not applied). At this point it probably makes sense to change both rear calipers, hoses, and rotors (just incase they are warped from heat). Thoughts on this approach?

Old 05-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I just read through your full thread again. A seizing caliper, even mildly seizing, will be HOT after 10 miles. Just warm makes me think you may have had a dragging parking brake, which you’ve fixed, and may only be living now with a warped rotor.

If you have time to keep playing with it, I’d replace rear pads and rotors (recommended in pairs) and see if your problem is fixed. If still present then replace the right caliper and, if you wish, hose. Rebuilding calipers is cheap and easy and can save a mildly seized caliper.

If you are ready to be done with it, then do the caliper and both pads and rotors together.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Went through the parking break embed procedure again. So far no issues after a week of driving. I still plan on changing the break hoses as stipulated by land rover maintenance schedule. Probably worth doing a caliper rebuild while I’m down there considering how cheap it is.

I’ll update when I get to it in the next couple weeks

Old 05-19-2022, 03:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same trouble and threw a lot of parts (rotors and multiple calipers) at the problem. Changing out the rubber hoses ($14 a piece) fixed it for both rears - Still kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The rubber degrades inside the hoses and makes a one-way valve - pressure gets into the caliper and can't get out. The calipers were dragging because the pressure could not escape. The heat also destroyed my pads so I got to replace those again but otherwise the brakes have been great since. Good luck and report back.

Quick Reply: LR3 Electric Parking Brake Intermittent Issue