LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Exhaust? Better sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LR3 Exhaust? Better sound?

Just bought a 2006 LR3 V8 SE about a month ago, I had a 96 Disco a few years ago and just like the rover I own now it wasn't much of a V8 like my 351ci Ford Bronco, but it at least had a nice rumble to it. Now I want my LR3 to have a nice rumble too, without reducing engine performance and without throwing any codes. I plan on keep the cats even though I usually remove them from every vehicle I own, but I'm just wondering if anyone's done any exhaust them self? I just want to put some glass packs on it, or a Flowmaster maybe, and of course some nice exhaust tips. Just wanting to hear any info and see some other people's exhaust setups.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I just cut the giant resonator and tails off the 06, sounds awesome with just the muffler

trying to get the wife to let me do hers, I want to cut resonator off but keep the muffler and tail pipe mufflers, she wants it quiet but I want sound when you get on it some, she's just afraid I will make it loud like my d1

So looks like you can weld a piece of 1/4" round stock across the tails where they exit the big turtle looking resonator, then cut the pipes at each end of that Res.

Fill the gap with 2 pieces of 2 1/4" I.d. exhaust pipe, Welsh or muffler clamps, doing it like this retains all your hangers

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOM R
I just cut the giant resonator and tails off the 06, sounds awesome with just the muffler

trying to get the wife to let me do hers, I want to cut resonator off but keep the muffler and tail pipe mufflers, she wants it quiet but I want sound when you get on it some, she's just afraid I will make it loud like my d1

So looks like you can weld a piece of 1/4" round stock across the tails where they exit the big turtle looking resonator, then cut the pipes at each end of that Res.

Fill the gap with 2 pieces of 2 1/4" I.d. exhaust pipe, Welsh or muffler clamps, doing it like this retains all your hangers
Awesome, That's what I wanted to hear. I'm used to a straight piped truck so this rover is definitely a little quieter than I like. Preciate the feedback.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

I mean if you want loud , cut off the tailpipe mufflers, resonater and big muffler and pipe all of it, probly sound crappy though

I would start with the turtle and if still too quiet take off the tail pipe mufflers, should be able to cut em off and replace with a long tailpipe turn down extension from the parts store, I did that on the d1

Only issue I see with too loud on the exhaust is you won't hear the rear and stuff going bad

Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOM R
I mean if you want loud , cut off the tailpipe mufflers, resonater and big muffler and pipe all of it, probly sound crappy though

I would start with the turtle and if still too quiet take off the tail pipe mufflers, should be able to cut em off and replace with a long tailpipe turn down extension from the parts store, I did that on the d1

Only issue I see with too loud on the exhaust is you won't hear the rear and stuff going bad
I don't necessarily want loud on this truck, I've still got the straight piped bronco if I want to gallivanting around and wake the neighbors, but I just want some good sound coming from the rover, I just cut off the tailpipe mufflers and I'm dropping it off an exhaust shop where I get all my work done tonight, he's gonna cut out the resonator and replace it with straight pipe and weld on the tips I already have for $40, so it should be all finished up tomorrow at lunch.

and ha greaat, can't wait to hear rear end stuff going bad, what sounds should I be on the look out for with the rear end and what not?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

post a video

Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

Flowmaster was selling a CAT-back exhaust a few years ago. They probably still are.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Flowmaster was selling a CAT-back exhaust a few years ago. They probably still are.
I think Magnaflow was the only bolt-on set made for these? Model 16895.. if you've got $1400 sitting around.

I do agree though, even the Range Rover Sport I had (identical mechanically) had a MUCH meaner sound to it, more of a low-end growl which is all I really want. You could hear it at idle a little bit also.

I traded it for the LR3 and as I said in a related thread.. a few days after I got it, I was at a gas station and went to drive off after filling the tank.. hopped in and nothing happened when I turned the key to "start".... after a few seconds of confusion I looked at the tach and it was sitting at idle. I literally can't even tell when this thing is running.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

Oops....yes, Magnaflow is what I meant.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Drifting

<<<@!1!@>>>

Here's a link to the video, turned out pretty good, love the way it sounds. Might invest in a flow master down the road, but yeah this definitely beats the $1400 magnaflow system, paid $40 for my exhaust guy to weld the tips and replace the resonator with straight pipe.

Quick Reply: LR3 Exhaust? Better sound?