LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Halogen to Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Halogen to Xenon

I'm sure this has been covered before, and I've been searching for days. If there is another thread feel free to point me to it.

My 2006 LR3 has halogen lamps. I'd like to swap them for the xenon projectors. Is it a plug and play job? Do I need to have the computer flashed? Different harness? Thanks for any guidance.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Definitely wouldn't be a plug 'n play job. Xenon headlamps are high-voltage systems and require a ballast. You'd have to find a mounting location for that and the wiring would probably be a bigger change than a drop-in deal.

I believe it's been done, and that there are even after-market systems...but it will take a little bit more effort.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:46 PM
7th Gear

The ballast is connected to the bottom of the light assembly. I can do a relay setup to the battery and switch if the wiring is different. I wish I could find exploded parts diagrams like some vendors have for my BMW. I'm able to compare part numbers that way.

I'd go with aftermarket projectors and a harness, but the low beam bulb is in the corner of the reflector bowl instead of in the center like most vehicles.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Replace with junkyard HID assemblies

Below is not the link I was looking for, (mainly about fog lights), but basically you find a junk yard with an LR3 HSE that has been run into in the rear. You remove the completed left and right HID projector headlight assemblies complete, take them home, remove your Halogen headlight assemblies, plug in the electrical connectors from your new HID's, (they fit, plug and play), and you now have stock factory Xenon headlights just like the HSE's.

If you have a Faultmate or the like, you can modify the CCF to tell your 3 you now have Xenon headlights but it is not absolutely necessary. Apparently without the CCF update, there is a bit of visible flicker at turn on, but just seconds long.

It will probably be the best mod you did - they are great with the factory D2S 4300K colour bulbs.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-lights-64228/

Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Agree that the LR3 has the best lighting system I've seen.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM
7th Gear

That's what I was hoping to hear. I can't find any different part number for a different harness so I'm assuming it is the same?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Agree that the LR3 has the best lighting system I've seen.
x2. I like the halogen fill lights that come one when you turn the High/Main beams on. My Acura TL didn't have that with the HID's and the LR3 certainly gives a better view.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Default exercise the L tabs

The best part is that if you can get the factory HID projectors from a local junkyard, you can install them right in the parking lot - takes maybe five minutes per side total.

I have a thick old winter coat that I toss on the ground where the headlight assembly might drop to just to save myself a few hundred dollars of unhappiness if I fumble the removal process.

Also the little vertical slide things can seem frozen so you might want to exercise them prior to actual assemble removal - that is prove to yourself that you can get each of the four total tabs to slide up. I have a 1" wide piece of thin rigid metal that I can slide under each L tab and then force upwards. It can take some effort.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Did your HSE not come with HID from the factory? My SE did, but I guess they are all just options...

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Yes, HID's were standard on my HSE.

Originally Posted by jafir
Did your HSE not come with HID from the factory? My SE did, but I guess they are all just options...
Yes, the HID's were pretty much standard on the HSE's and later on, almost standard on the SE's as well.

LR upgraded the spec on the SE's - well optioned the SE's up to almost HSE spec as time when on so many came with the Xenon lights - and they are good lights.

I think many of the SE's got a middle line HK radio - ten speakers rather than 14, and a lower power amp and maybe the NAV was missing.

Quick Reply: LR3 Halogen to Xenon