LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 instrument cluster info

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023 | 03:43 AM
3rd Gear
Default 2006 LR3 Instrument Cluster replaced

So, I purchased a used instrument cluster due to blinker audio and park assist no longer working. I was able to complete the swap and when I went to turn the vehicle on the all the bells and whistles kicked on beautifully!! Blinker was audible, door chime was nice and loud…. But then as it was going through its system startup it gave me a “Suspension Fault - Speed Limit 30mph” and the vehicle would not start! I did notice that the cluster only showed 141,238 miles which my original cluster has 235,564 miles… the cluster came from a 2006 LR3 as well ….do I just need to be patient and let it “self” identify the new cluster or do I have to have the “new to me” cluster programmed?

after I saw the vehicle wasn’t starting I put the OE cluster back on and had to wait for the vehicle to register it and FINALLY started… I was honestly nervous thinking I fried the cluster and dead in the water!

(this is my first post so please be patient as I am new to this forum world!! THANK YOU!)

Old 12-29-2023 | 04:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cruzg831
So, I purchased a used instrument cluster due to blinker audio and park assist no longer working. I was able to complete the swap and when I went to turn the vehicle on the all the bells and whistles kicked on beautifully!! Blinker was audible, door chime was nice and loud…. But then as it was going through its system startup it gave me a “Suspension Fault - Speed Limit 30mph” and the vehicle would not start! I did notice that the cluster only showed 141,238 miles which my original cluster has 235,564 miles… the cluster came from a 2006 LR3 as well ….do I just need to be patient and let it “self” identify the new cluster or do I have to have the “new to me” cluster programmed?

after I saw the vehicle wasn’t starting I put the OE cluster back on and had to wait for the vehicle to register it and FINALLY started… I was honestly nervous thinking I fried the cluster and dead in the water!

(this is my first post so please be patient as I am new to this forum world!! THANK YOU!)
You need to program the replacement cluster to your vehicle, cluster contains the immobilizer so without the coding it wont start. If you have a Gap tool or other suitable diagnostic tool you can make a backup of your original cluster and copy it to the replacement.

The following users liked this post:
cruzg831 (01-16-2024)
Old 12-29-2023 | 08:39 AM
3rd Gear
Default I appreciate the response

Originally Posted by loanrangie
You need to program the replacement cluster to your vehicle, cluster contains the immobilizer so without the coding it wont start. If you have a Gap tool or other suitable diagnostic tool you can make a backup of your original cluster and copy it to the replacement.
thank you for the response! I will have to look for someone that has that gap tool and won’t charge an arm and a leg to copy it over!! Thank you again!

Old 12-29-2023 | 05:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cruzg831
thank you for the response! I will have to look for someone that has that gap tool and won’t charge an arm and a leg to copy it over!! Thank you again!
The owner of the gap tool will need top pay gap to have your vin number added before you can do any CCF editing.

Old 12-29-2023 | 07:48 PM
Mudding

UPDATE FOR FUTURE FINDERS OF THIS THREAD:

I attempted to connect the used cluster to my 2008 LR3 but when it was connected I saw that the used cluster had more miles than I was told, and many more miles than my car. My car had 106,xxx and the used cluster had 175,xxx miles. I did not actively "sync" the used cluster.

So I gave up, replaced the OG cluster, ordered a brand new cluster, and took it to the dealer. The OG cluster still read 106,xxx miles which made sense because I didn't finalize the sync process... or so I thought.

After 7 hours waiting for the car from the dealer, they gave me a not insubstantial invoice and said nothing else. I got in my car and what do I see on this brand new cluster? 175,xxx miles.

To say nothing of the ongoing conversation I am having to have with the dealership 3hrs away about trying to have them research if they can rewrite the ECU mileage and if so, to provide enough documentation that they feel comfortable doing so, the on board ECU somehow read that information from the used cluster and rewrote itself with 75k new miles even though the entire 2 months since that attempt, the OG cluster showed the actual 106,,xxx miles as if nothing had happened.

So just a heads up for anyone finding this - don't **** around with a used cluster unless you know it has many less miles.

I also have to say... I am very, very confused as to why the firmware in the car would have "select and record the highest mileage even if it means overwriting the vehicle ECU with a new speedometer reading" instead of saying "the car ECU stores the real number, sync based off that." It makes zero sense to have written the logic that way - which is, coincidentally, what I have to find a way to prove to the dealership is the logic because they've never heard of this before. (ironic because the very thing I need their help with now is the proof of how it works lol.)

Old 12-30-2023 | 12:26 AM
Pro Wrench

You'd think a dealer would be able to sync a new cluster but i do remember reading something about a limit to the mileage where it can no longer be sync'd if its lower, i think it was 105k miles ?

Old 12-30-2023 | 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

My understanding is that some of the ECUs can go backwards. You see this “sometimes” when someone has doctored the mileage to make the vehicle feel more desirable for silly buyers. The only one that (supposedly) cannot go backward is the PCM ECU, its values only increase..
I found this out the hard way with my “Italian special”, see
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/ecu-r...ty-163135.html
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1913888.html#1913888