LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 instrument cluster info

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good news! It appears that the "fixed" instrument cluster did the trick, and humpty dumpty will be all put back together to pick up tomorrow. That "put back together" part worries me a little, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (12-23-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Mudding

update: still don't have car. Took the cluster first thing yesterday and shop backed up. Hopefully Thursday. Looks like December was a complete scratch for the LR3.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:37 PM
Mudding

update: Got the LR3 and she's been driving it off and on this afternoon without an issue! Maybe we make it to the New Year?

Old 08-22-2023, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker
So from all indications, my 2009 LR3 HSE has a bad instrument cluster. Abran on this board kindly assisted me in pursuing getting a used cluster from another LR3, but apparently the instrument cluster from an 05 through 07 will not work in the 08s and 09s, and there was no 08 or 09 that I could find anywhere.

If your cluster is bad and you DO want to get another used one, remember these facts:

1. You cannot dial back the mileage on the odometer of a used one. So if your LR3 has 120,000 miles and the "new to you" used cluster has 130,000 miles on it, guess what, you just put 10,000 miles on your truck.

2. You will need to buy a GAP II device to program the "new to you" cluster.

3. Because you are installing a used cluster, it might bug out just like the one you had.

In my case, I had two options since no 08-09 used units were available: 1) Buy a new cluster for $1200, or 2) Get mine fixed. I chose to get mine fixed from a company called ClusterFix.net. For $349, they will fix your cluster and actually improve it to prevent further problems. They have a 2 to 4 business day turnaround. With shipping times, etc., you are down for 2 weeks unless you're really lucky.

Hope this helps some poor soul.
Sooooooo let's just say a guy with a 2008 LR3 with only 105k miles bought an instrument cluster off of ebay, but hasn't quite installed it and reprogrammed it with their GAP IID tool yet and they just came across this post... is there anyway to test what the mileage is on the new cluster before it "programs itself" to that number?

My fear obviously being that if the new dash is like 200k miles and I connect it and turn the car on to see the mileage and it automatically says "ok great, this is the new mileage" I'd be pretty pissed honestly. Any insight on how to check this before it decides to program itself to the new mileage?

Old 08-23-2023, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by KH406
Sooooooo let's just say a guy with a 2008 LR3 with only 105k miles bought an instrument cluster off of ebay, but hasn't quite installed it and reprogrammed it with their GAP IID tool yet and they just came across this post... is there anyway to test what the mileage is on the new cluster before it "programs itself" to that number?

My fear obviously being that if the new dash is like 200k miles and I connect it and turn the car on to see the mileage and it automatically says "ok great, this is the new mileage" I'd be pretty pissed honestly. Any insight on how to check this before it decides to program itself to the new mileage?
Short of installing back to the original vehicle to read it no, can you ask the seller ?

Old 08-27-2023, 12:52 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by KH406

you could code it to your vehicle, but don’t sync the mileage.

loanrangie (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I had clusterfix.net fix my 2007 cluster about 18 months ago. Kept my original 105k miles. Still works great. This is my daughters daily driver now at 120k miles.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
you could code it to your vehicle, but don’t sync the mileage.
Didn't know that was possible, i just assumed that when you restore the IPC that it would copy the mileage back during the process.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:57 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Here is the complete instructions from GAP. The last step, finalizing is when the ODO is synced:First, keep in mind that it needs to be the same model year range, 2004-2006, or 2007+ due to fascia changes. Odometer value can only be raised, not lowered and to a maximum of 262k km. If the car is higher than this value, the odometer value will not be raised.

Step 1: Update your IIDTool

-Connect your IIDTool to your computer
-Start the updater software
-Click on Find Device
-Click on Program Flash File Only
-Click on Program Firmware
-Wait until completion

Step 2: In the vehicle
With the old instrument pack fitted
-Connect the tool
-Menu->Car Config, do not change any settings. Wait until CCF reading is completed.
-Leave the tool connected on the OBD port and mobile App connected on the tool. Do not disconnect the battery, the tool needs to be powered.
-Turn off ignition/remove the key

The following steps need to be done without delay between each other.
-Disconnect and replace the instrument pack with the new one.
-Turn ignition ON
-Restore the CCF backup to the new instrument pack (Menu->Save Restore->Restore Settings->Car Config...)

VIN Reset
-Menu->ECU Flash->IPC Reset, wait until completion
-Turn key OFF, wait one minute
-Turn key ON, wait one minute
-Try to start the engine, if it doesn't start, turn the key off, one minute, then on one minute. Repeat key cycling and delays until engine starts. It can take around 3 cycles before the engine starts

Finalizing

Menu—ECU Flash—IPC, select the desired version
Menu->Service Test->Instrument Pack->Synch odometer
Menu->Service Test->Instrument Pack->VIN Learn

loanrangie (08-29-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to all of this, quick question concerning the programing a used instrument cluster (IPC?)
The first step is to read the old instrument pack, what happens if you don't have the old one?
thanks

Quick Reply: LR3 instrument cluster info