LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 key fob replacement - ikeyless.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 key fob replacement - ikeyless.com

Sorry for the additional key fob thread but was looking for specifics in regards to this company:

https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Land-R...FceBfgod22kHPw

Has anybody bought from them? Were you able to have it cut? Programmed?

I just got another LR3 that only had one key fob and looking to get a spare.
I went down this road with a Disco 2 but that seemed a lot easier. Bought a blank from an online company, had it cut at a locksmith and the dealer programmed it for free (although I think it was a misunderstanding on their part and I didn't stick around long enough for them to figure it out).

Was also looking at getting a Gap IID tool to do the programming.

The headache will probably be sufficient enough for me to just go the dealer route but looking at options.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

"Key Cutting/Programming
Programming instructions are not included. This device requires cutting and programming by a dealership or locksmith. The procedure takes only a few seconds to complete and many dealerships will do it for free as a courtesy. If your dealer does charge a fee, local locksmiths usually charge much less to remain competitive."

Unfortunately, the dealership and/or locksmith cannot program the key for your vehicle. With the LR3, the immobilizer chip must be coded based on your VIN at the factory at the time of ordering. There is no way for the dealers to do this. The cheapest place that I've heard of (based on the Expo Portal board) to order a key is from here.

Note that this price does not include programming the key fob to lock/unlock your doors. The dealer will charge you more for this service or you can do that part yourself with the IID tool if you have one.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect. Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't think I did a search on expo portal but found the post you were referring to.
Answers all my questions. Thanks again.

Best place to order OEM LR3 keys - Page 4 - Expedition Portal

Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
"Key Cutting/Programming
Programming instructions are not included. This device requires cutting and programming by a dealership or locksmith. The procedure takes only a few seconds to complete and many dealerships will do it for free as a courtesy. If your dealer does charge a fee, local locksmiths usually charge much less to remain competitive."

Unfortunately, the dealership and/or locksmith cannot program the key for your vehicle. With the LR3, the immobilizer chip must be coded based on your VIN at the factory at the time of ordering. There is no way for the dealers to do this. The cheapest place that I've heard of (based on the Expo Portal board) to order a key is from here.

Note that this price does not include programming the key fob to lock/unlock your doors. The dealer will charge you more for this service or you can do that part yourself with the IID tool if you have one.
The immobilizer chip is not coded to your vehicle at the LR factory. When they request the VIN it is only for cutting the key blade. The remote comes as a "virgin" and is coded via dealer software or a Autologic, etc.

The following users liked this post:
$$Ttriton$$ (03-15-2021)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I have no first hand knowledge of this, but am repeating what others have posted. I know there was a post (I believe on this forum and will search later when I have time) where an individual spoke with his dealer and was told that the immobilizer was pre-programmed at the factory and not done at the dealership. If that's not the case, I apologize for spreading mis-information!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Baja

I have no first hand knowledge of this, but am repeating what others have posted. I know there was a post (I believe on this forum and will search later when I have time) where an individual spoke with his dealer and was told that the immobilizer was pre-programmed at the factory and not done at the dealership. If that's not the case, I apologize for spreading mis-information!
I was told it was not by a LR parts guy.

We will know soon enough. I sent a used remote to be erased to a company. If I can program to my car, then I am correct, if I can't... Then the service didn't do their job and I'm still correct!!! Jk. I'll update once I get the remote back.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
I was told it was not by a LR parts guy.

We will know soon enough. I sent a used remote to be erased to a company. If I can program to my car, then I am correct, if I can't... Then the service didn't do their job and I'm still correct!!! Jk. I'll update once I get the remote back.
I'm excited to know the outcome of this as well.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Baja

I'm excited to know the outcome of this as well.
Another point that leads me to believe the immobilizer chip is programmed after the fact is that you put the key Int o the ignition to do it, in addition you need to have all remotes and insert them in the ignition at the programming time.

I bought a new one from the dealer and first put the new one in, coded it. Then Autologic said to put the old one in and code it.

Anyways, we will see!

Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Baja

Well hell. Just got a call from the reflash company, they are sending my remote back and refunding my money. They no longer offer the service for any remotes! Maybe they got in trouble? Not really sure. The hunt continues.

I did order a new on from the dealer today, $256.50 plus tax.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Argh. TGTBT.

Quick Reply: LR3 key fob replacement - ikeyless.com