LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts
Default LR3 Lift Kit

Hey guys, Johnson Rods has upgraded to be 50% thicker and with wider grommets. More durable and a tighter fit.
Lift your LR3, LR4 2.5 inches. Get larger tires. Explore more trails.
Name:  DougLandinMoab.jpg
Views: 3915
Size:  84.8 KB
Name:  newjrods.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  17.6 KB
Name:  JohnsonRods.jpg
Views: 3306
Size:  208.3 KB
LR3 Lift Kit - Johnson Rods - Range Rover Sport Lift Kit

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the lenght differences of these compaired to the stock rods?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cons to lift rods

what are the cons of adding lift rods? fuel efficiency? safety? anything???

Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

1. You have to wonder about a "company" that advertises the rods being thicker and hence more durable when they are a non load-bearing component of the EAS. To me at least, truth in advertising goes a long way.

2. There is no downside except that you lose Access Height.

3. For some amount more $ (I'm not sure because I've never wasted my time pricing Johnson Rods) you can get an IIDTool and have a ton more functionality and the ability to save your preferred EAS height settting and just plug 'er in and select it at the trailhead.

If you can't make the right choice now...you're on your own.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

These are all just very simple pieces that replace the stock pieces with shorter ones. I also have the IID tool and between both of them you can really dial the trucks in. For someone running sane tires, I could see the ability to use an IID tool to set the height and flip back n' forth. For me, I know I never wanted it to be down lower to the tires, so I only use the IID tool for fine adjustment (leveled my truck this way)

In any event, the real reason I wanted to post on this -- I was surprised by how flexy the stock LR rods are. That alone would make me want to switch it out. While it is NOT load bearing, it has a direct control over the truck understanding its height, and with how flexy it was, I'd be surprised if it didn't flex or compress while in use, at times. I'd like to climb under an lr4 and see if they didn't change them. Maybe they didn't. I get the feeling LR generally only changes things when there were warranty problems they had to cover...

So, for the Johnson Rods -- Good work! With that bushing having less flex it will give greater accuracy to the truck at all times.

Dave

Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy

They are flexy because they can be...and maybe they should be.

I ran shortened rods for years. Even after I had my GAP tool I used them, wanting a "hardware solution" instead of relying on software. Eventually I gave it a shot and I've never looked back. The main thing is that I can run stock height until I'm at the trail head.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Any sort of play in the rod or bushing will throw the computer into a crazy spiral of events that will leave you on your bumpstops. When we developed the Proud Rhino Lift Rods, we created them out of a stronger and more durable solid Aluminum and researched bushings for months until we found ones that allowed for easy install, but also fit tight enough to now allow any play whatsoever. Ive seen cheaper rods bend off road when a rogue stick penetrated the area. It took a while to get the truck reset and calibrated (Thanks IID tool) to be able to get it out of the woods.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Two Things

1. I don't know what you're talking about with your description of what will put you on bumpstops but I think you're inaccurate. I used very primitive early-adapter versions of modified rods and NEVER was put on bumpstops. I stopped paying attention to what mod-rod products are on the market anymore but I'd venture a guess that any of them would do the job.

2. Your statement only validates the superiority of just having an IIDTool in the truck and calling it good. No modified rods needed.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

There is no question that an IID tool is a great devise to have if you want to spend the extra money and program the settings. However, many owners don't want that option and just want a simple and cost effective way to raise the height of their vehicle without get into technical programming. Johnson Rods has been providing an excellent lift product for the last five years that has proven to be very successful. They are widely used around the world by thousands of customers. In fact, many Land Rover dealers buy directly for their customers or use them on their demo vehicles at trade shows. An IID tool is certainly another option, but most people choose to use Johnson Rods rather than to invest in more expensive programming equipment. For those who prefer the IID programming tool more power to them. What works for you is what works best. Just get out there and have fun! That's what Johnson Rods are for.
Name:  goktug2.jpg
Views: 7495
Size:  94.5 KB
Name:  Moab_2010_Dave_W-1.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  16.5 KBName:  KaneCreek1-2.jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  90.9 KB

Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Camel Trophy

No argument there!

(I have no idea how much the rods cost. If they are that much cheaper than an IIDTool then there's certainly a place in the market for them.)

Quick Reply: LR3 Lift Kit