LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

@cmb6s - Exactly!

I think the IDDTool takes into account the one sensor with highest calibration value and uses that to determine the maximum total lift allowed for that particular LR3. With the short rods and an alignment re-calibrated ride heights, Ihave effectively lowered the all sensors on my frame 5mm, thus giving my IDDTool 5mm more to raise.

I should look at each corner calibration values and use each adjustable rod to get them as close as possible. This would give IIDTool the maximum range of adjustments up and down. Im due for an alignment anyway, Ill see how far they are out. Also a good reason to buy one of those digital micrometers I always wanted.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

cmb, thank you for that explanation; that makes sense to me. One corollary though, isn't the ultimate upper "limit" the place where the EAS trips "out of range" faults? Is that based on sensor calibration or height of car or something else?

morris intimated that with 10 mm rods he was getting these kinds of faults but with the 5 mm version he wasn't. That tells me that no matter what you do there is a limit internal to the EAS ECU that will limit how far you can go with this. So you can't create a 4" lift by moving the calibration point with shortened rods and the IIDtool.

Right? Wrong? Other?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Sorry this was not clearer - I only get an "out of range" errors with IDDTool set to max lift allowed. When I only used IIDTool the max was (+45). Probably due to one of my sensors topping out.

When I added the 5mm shorted rods and re-calibrated factory ride heights IIDTool would let me go higher (+50 now), but I still set IIDTool to (+45) to prevent getting the errors.

If I manually adjusted each sensors arm to have the same calibration value, I might get another 5mm out of them. Might be worth it if I was having rubbing issues, but I dont with the current tires.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
cmb, thank you for that explanation; that makes sense to me. One corollary though, isn't the ultimate upper "limit" the place where the EAS trips "out of range" faults? Is that based on sensor calibration or height of car or something else?

Right? Wrong? Other?
I wish I could answer your question, but I don't know exactly which parameter trips the out of range fault as I've never experienced it myself. I would agree with you and Morris that there is probably an upper limit of some sort to each sensor or in the ECU, but I don't know what that value is.

What I HAVE seen is "cross articulation faults". I was getting a bunch of these initially, which would bring me to the bump stops. The reason I was getting them is because I tried to adjust my rods to all different lengths in order to get the calibration number on each sensor to be about the same value. I was actually shooting for a calibration value of 175 on each sensor. However, my sensors are all very different, so this required each rod to be a very different length. For some reason, the system did not like this and kept giving me the cross-articulation fault.

Since then, I have adjusted the rear rods so that they are the same length and the front rods so that they are the same length. I haven't received a cross-articulation fault yet, but it puts me in a situation where one rear wheel is calibrated at 157 I think and the other at about 204. Strange, but apparently, the car is too smart for me and I can't get it to do what I want.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Camel Trophy

Cross-articulation faults are bad. Bump-stop City. I experienced those when my sensors were out of calibration range.

@morris, isn't this a "net-zero" change?

You wrote: When I added the 5mm shorted rods and re-calibrated factory ride heights IIDTool would let me go higher (+50 now)

Old 05-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Cross-articulation faults are bad. Bump-stop City. I experienced those when my sensors were out of calibration range.

You wrote: When I added the 5mm shorted rods and re-calibrated factory ride heights IIDTool would let me go higher (+50 now)
@houm - no, it's a positive net change... just because you shorten the rods 5mm doesn't mean you lower the car 5mm and then raise it an extra 5mm later with the tool. You don't lower the car at all since you recalibrate.

Think about it this way... we all have different amounts that the IID tool will allow us to raise our cars, correct? All of our cars ride at the same ride height for normal driving (i.e. they're all calibrated correctly) and we all have the same upper limit. However, the IID tool will let you adjust your suspension up a different amount than it will allow me to adjust mine.

Why is that? Because of slight variations in our sensor mounting and rod length. All of our cars are slightly different... we're just "forcing" ours to be different in a more beneficial way by shortening the rods We may not have as much downward adjustibility as before, but that doesn't really bother me since I can't get into parking garages with my MaxTrax on the roof anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy

This is what's tripping me up:

"... All of our cars ride at the same ride height for normal driving (i.e. they're all calibrated correctly) and we all have the same upper limit."

You mean same upper limit for ride height or for sensor calibration?

I think I'm starting to get it, though. So with the rods shortened and then the EAS re-calibrated, you can then achieve the "max reasonable height" where before you couldn't because of the calibration of the sensors. You are not getting more height than otherwise possible, but you are getting to the max allowable height.

I guess I'm lucky to not have that situation for my sensors.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Mudding

I see what you are saying, but its +5 in my book since I was getting errors without the short rods and would not be able to use that last 5mm real world with out them.

What is your max lift your IIDtool allows you? Do you ever set it at the max?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Camel Trophy

I think it's starting to make some sense. So, with stock rods, you didn't have enough adjustment range with the IIDTool to get to the "sweet spot" which I'll call the max height you can get to preserve "Extended Height" and get no out-of-range errors.

With 10 mm shortened rods it was too high and gets you into the error region using the IIDtool, is that right? Why couldn't you just adjust it less since the rods were providing you a lift already?

So....what about 7 mm shortened rods? 8 mm? Could you use those to get to the sweet spot without the IIDTool?