LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 - The mountain car

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 - The mountain car

Hey guys,

I recently came to the decision that putting the M3 in winter mode, and pushing her through another snowy winter might not be in the cars best interest. I began looking for possible winter car options, and my Dad was actually the one to stumble upon a 2007 LR3 with low milage, excelent interior/exterior, and a good track record. We decided to pull the trigger.

The car is nearly identical to my Dads previous LR3, besides the difference in trim options. Either way, I am incredible excited to turn this into the perfect ski/mountain/adventure car. As a Maine resident, and a student in Colorado, this car will be set up as best as I can to tackle everything that winter can bring.

The specs:
2007 LR3 V8 SE
70,000 miles
Silver/Black

Pics:
Name:  lagiPcrl.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  101.8 KB
Name:  5V9wqTsl.jpg
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  rpYNKENl.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB

The plan:
Getting a set of Blizzaks on soon. In the future I'd like to add a brush guard and some driving lights. Might have a little fun with some Plasti-Dip also.

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi. Looking forward to learning more about these cars, and especially driving this one!

Justin

Old 10-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Welcome

Service records?, be sure diffs were serviced they go bad, mine has 50k and back ones bad, pinion bearings humming loud, fluid was contaminated

Park brake issues

Electrical stuff

Pull back the pass front carpet see if the padding is wet if so that needs immediate attention

Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by TOM R
Welcome

Service records?, be sure diffs were serviced they go bad, mine has 50k and back ones bad, pinion bearings humming loud, fluid was contaminated

Park brake issues

Electrical stuff

Pull back the pass front carpet see if the padding is wet if so that needs immediate attention
Thank you,

limited service records unfortunately, though i'm sure more are available if we dig deeper.

I'm actually currently in Sweden for school, so my Dad is taking care of the initial run through of the truck. Its going up on a lift soon, and we will give it a through run through. I do know the injectors have recently been cleaned.

As a BMW guy, I know all about preventative maintenance, so this truck will be treated well.

Justin

Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Be sure he services the diffs and transfer case even though miles are low, also might want to check park brake shoes, they can come unglued locking the wheels

Old 10-27-2014, 04:26 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by TOM R
Be sure he services the diffs and transfer case even though miles are low, also might want to check park brake shoes, they can come unglued locking the wheels
Will do.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 456 Likes on 407 Posts

Blizaaks are a good choice. Nokian Hakkas do really well, too.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Blizaaks are a good choice. Nokian Hakkas do really well, too.
What I would really like is some BFG T/A KO2's but they don't fit the stock wheel, and i'm not really looking to get yet another set. I know the Blizaaks/Hakkas aren't going to do much in the deep stuff, but then again 95% of my driving will be on snowy pavement.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 456 Likes on 407 Posts

Don't be so sure! I have taken my Hakkas in snow up to about 2' and they performed fine. They did struggle once it got above 18" (meaning momentum required) but they were still remarkable. ...and that was on a mountain forest service road, not on pavement.

In a typical scenario with 12" or less of compact snow on paved roads, the Hakkas will not let you down.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's awesome, I had an M3 a while ago and switched out to a Mustang GT (red/red int.) tons of stuff done to it, Goodyear GS-D3s, totally worthless in temps below 50 degrees... car would get stuck in a driveway, forget the actual streets. Then again all things considered, the M3 was actually worse (independent suspension I guess..)

I got a 99 Discovery II as a winter / beater car to save miles on the mustang. I literally wouldn't even drive the stang if it was going to rain, but that's partially due to my new-found affection for the Rover.

Before I knew it, I'd rather be driving the DII around.. I loved it.

6 years later.. looking back, I got that thing for $3500 and it's probably the best money I've ever spent. Floods, 800mi road trips with a boat to the parents beach house, trips to ski resorts in blizzards.. there's nothing that Disco hasn't got me through.

Couple years later what do I do..? Sell the Mustang and buy a RRS lol. Still a fun car but I can bring my "investment" anywhere.. friends in the boonies/gravel roads, etc etc. No boat anymore but I have a large horse trailer.. tows it like a dream.

Hate to say this but.. if you're a semi-gearhead and appreciate engineering.. you might be selling the M3 for a 'Sport in the future. My average speed is 17mph /week.. utility/comfort is more important for me now... but damn the sports can tear it up.

Anyways what do I do then? ..love the utility of my DII so much I sell RRS for LR3 and cut payment in half with more utility/space. Longer wheelbase = even better towing..

For the money they're just very impressive vehicles. I don't think this will really sink in with you till the thing gets you out of a very difficult situation...

Glad you're part of the "club" - I think you'll love it, but again I'm kinda biased

Old 10-29-2014, 03:16 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by EstorilM
That's awesome, I had an M3 a while ago and switched out to a Mustang GT (red/red int.) tons of stuff done to it, Goodyear GS-D3s, totally worthless in temps below 50 degrees... car would get stuck in a driveway, forget the actual streets. Then again all things considered, the M3 was actually worse (independent suspension I guess..)

I got a 99 Discovery II as a winter / beater car to save miles on the mustang. I literally wouldn't even drive the stang if it was going to rain, but that's partially due to my new-found affection for the Rover.

Before I knew it, I'd rather be driving the DII around.. I loved it.

6 years later.. looking back, I got that thing for $3500 and it's probably the best money I've ever spent. Floods, 800mi road trips with a boat to the parents beach house, trips to ski resorts in blizzards.. there's nothing that Disco hasn't got me through.

Couple years later what do I do..? Sell the Mustang and buy a RRS lol. Still a fun car but I can bring my "investment" anywhere.. friends in the boonies/gravel roads, etc etc. No boat anymore but I have a large horse trailer.. tows it like a dream.

Hate to say this but.. if you're a semi-gearhead and appreciate engineering.. you might be selling the M3 for a 'Sport in the future. My average speed is 17mph /week.. utility/comfort is more important for me now... but damn the sports can tear it up.

Anyways what do I do then? ..love the utility of my DII so much I sell RRS for LR3 and cut payment in half with more utility/space. Longer wheelbase = even better towing..

For the money they're just very impressive vehicles. I don't think this will really sink in with you till the thing gets you out of a very difficult situation...

Glad you're part of the "club" - I think you'll love it, but again I'm kinda biased
haha, thats a good story. Sounds like fun.

I hear what you're saying. Im definitely excited to have a go anywhere car, but the M3 is staying. No plans to ever get rid of her.

Quick Reply: LR3 - The mountain car