LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 New, should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 New, should I do it?

I'm in the market for a new SUV / "Go places Truck" and I really like the LR3. I'm not a big off roader but I like having the true off road options. My main concern is all the negative press about LR and reliability. Will some of you fill me in on the reality of owning a LR. Should I be as concerned as the reviewers make one believe they should be? Thanks for any info you can share.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it or wait for the LR4 Diesel.
My '05 had many issues, repairs were very expensive, horrible mileage.
Very fragile, pieces broke off when off-roaded. But never got stuck when others did. Very comfy, great ride. loads of room. Get the heavy duty package for sure.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken mine off road quite a few times 05 and not had any issues to speak of. I absolutly love it and will buy one again. I am assuming you want a new vehicle now not in a year or 2. we dont even know if a diesel option will be avalable for us in the US LR4. At least I have not heard of it as a future option in the USA. I was veary leary about buying a LR for the same reasons you have mentioned. I also live 200miles away from the nearest dealer. I had to have a sunroof replaced a coolant sensor replaced and a battery all under warr. If you are buying new you will have a warrante. The bugs have been worked out since 05. I have an 05. The hd pkg is not a dealbreaker. At least take it off road a time or 2 and a dirt road dose not count just so you can experience the capability of these vehicles. I would say buy it. I bought mine for my wife she loved the safty and visibility and the usable 3rd row. But I take it on the trail on the weekends when she is not looking We also get alot of snow here, over 200" this year and 4wd is essential to get into town ect. It dose great. so just go buy one. I was a nervous wreck when I bought mine I had read reviews on people suck on the side of the road ect. But then I check reviews on my wifes current subaru at the time and I was seeing the same thing people with all kinds of problems I had had 3 of them never with a single issue so alot of the reviews I think are of a few that got a lemon. so take them with a grain of salt. you are buying new so the few bugs there were in 05 and 06 have been worked out you should be fine. so go ahead and buy one. BUY the way I get 17-20mpg on the hwy

Last edited by drzjoint; 06-02-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling

I have an 05 and have had no issues, one minor warranty issue and that's it. One other item was a software issue that was a quick fix. One has to think about those reliability studies, etc. who was asked? Most of the LR3 owners on here were probably out off-roading so weren't home to be asked It's the most capable off road but cleans up really nice too for nights out on the town, LOL.

Repairs are costly (parts) yes! Get the extended warranty. I have mine for an extra 5yrs w/ $0 deductible.

Mileage isn't so bad as other vehicles I've driven (Hummer H2 - 8-10mpg):
City driving - 15.4mpg (13.4mpg w/ 285/60/18s)
Highway driving - 21mpg (17mpg w/ 285/60/18s)
Towing 6000lbs - 12mpg w/ 285/60/18s)

Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default Great input

Thanks for the info guys. I am going for a new model, 2009 LR3. My hunch is that many of the issues in 05 and 06 have been resolved and any new issue would be nailed during warranty. I take great care of my vehicles and usually hold them for 10 years or more. Tires I can deal with, if I cared about gas mileage I'd buy bike. I'll just plan on a small savings account for out of warranty repairs down the road. I'll have to stay connected to the forum to learn more about how to use this as it is meant to be used when I get it. DG out.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
6th Gear

Wait for the LR4 in a few months. There are already promos on it - I received on ein the mail - though there will be good deals on '09s when the LR4s come out. You can check out LR4 videos on You Tube - do a search. Nicer interior and more aggressive exterior.

Good luck - btw, the NAV system is worth every penny - so get that and Sirius radio as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by bluejayrover
Don't do it or wait for the LR4 Diesel.
You'll turn awfully blue if you hold your breath waiting for a diesel Landrover of any flavor in the US.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM
6th Gear
Default diesel in USA

I think we have a better chance than ever with clean air technology, better fuels and an engine that was designed from the outset to meet USA 50 state standards. Also with gas prices up and the down turn in their business due to higher fuel prices - I think there is a very good chance we see a diesel in 2010.

I'll never buy a first year rover again (95 D1, 05 D3) as they have too many bugs so if they do come out with a diesel I'll wait for year #2 anyway.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM
4wd Low

I hope you're right

Old 06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Mudding

I have an '05 HSE and I would have another in a heartbeat. Caution, even though the cost of the extended warranty is high, buy it....Mine has paid for itself 3 times in the time since I went off factory warranty. With 86k miles now, I'm wondering what to do, and when, but my instinct is the 2009 will be a great deal very soon, especially since gas prices are rising again now. The trick is to not wait too long so that I can find one with the coveted HD package, like mine is now....

Quick Reply: LR3 New, should I do it?