LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 no airflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 no airflow

Hey all,

I have a problem with airflow coming from the vents inside my LR3. The fan is working, the A/C and heat work, just no air is coming out.

I'm guessing a baffle, which would normally move to redirect air where commanded, is stuck closed. I am in the middle of a 700 mile road trip and this is super annoying.

Anyone had this problem or something like it? Know anything about the air flow vents?

I appreciate it gents!

Merry Christmas,
Scott

Old 12-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like the distribution motor/flap isn't moving. There is a self diagnostic you can try:

Distribution motor self-test

The motor and flap operation can be checked using the on-board distribution motor self-test function.

The self-test can be initiated by pressing and holding the ECON and RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

The control module will then compare the current motor position with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED (light emitting diode).

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

For additional information on the function of the system, refer to the relevant section of the workshop manual.

Usually if there is a problem the program light will flash for about 30 seconds or so upon first starting and you won't have any HVAC control until it stops.

The following users liked this post:
DieHard (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Thanks Zelatore for the info.

Sorry for the late response but with kids, and Christmas, and travel, it has been hard to log back in.

It seems like the system is limping along and there definitely is still an issue, but I can get it working if I play with it long enough. I did the diagnostic check you suggested (Great gouge BTW) and everything was normal... no lights on the program defrost button.

I think I'll have to wait for a hard failure. Troubleshooting intermittent issues is no fun.

Thanks again. And I will keep this thread up to date for future readers.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah usually would try the blender door reset as described by Zelatore. When was the last time you changed the HVAC intake filter (cabin air filter)? I imagine if its been years or some crazy amount of time the charcoal filter could clog.

Worst case you could try pulling the center console fascia off and inspecting some of the vents yourself. There are a few videos on youtube, not as crazy hard as you might think but not a walk in the park either.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Checking the cabin filter is good advice, after one particularly dusty trip I did, I had probably half a cup worth of dust I cleaned out of my filter

Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A possible cause is a clogged cabin filter.
"What happens as the cabin filter is clogged and gather materials mentioned above?

The air flow gradually decreases, leading in extreme cases to have the air conditioning on maximum fan speed and very little air vents out."
Source: Why should you change cabin air filter?

Old 03-23-2016, 02:57 AM
Drifting

While I'm here (working on my misfire issues) I will just say that there was no fix for my reported problem, the damn thing just started working. I'm sure only to raise it's dirty little head at a very inopportune time in the near future.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow. I'd be really interested to see if anybody else has experienced this problem as well. I deal with the same thing in our L322 Range Rover. Never had the problem in the LR3, but in the RR, everything appears to work as it should... lights on head unit correct, fan roaring like it should, but almost zero air coming out of the vents.

It's definitely not a cabin air filter issue. It's not a head unit issue as I've replaced that. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen pretty frequently. Happens on both automatic and manual control.

Don (or anybody else), do you happen to know if there is a diagnostic procedure for testing the L322 HVAC system? I don't recall seeing anything like this in the manual, but perhaps I skipped over it.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not aware of the procedure for the L322; I don't even know where the LR3 test came from - I found it on one of the forums a couple years ago. It's one of those 'hidden' routines like the secret button in the nav display.

As for an answer to the actual problem I'm afraid I'm not much help. I actually have a similar issue to mine - not an airflow problem but a maximum heat problem. Some days I can have the thing set to 80*+ and still not get much more than luke warm air, others it's too hot at 70*. I haven't tried any diagnostics on it yet; could be an air pocket, could be a clogged heat exchanger - don't know. It's on the 'one day' list. Not critical since it doesn't affect the running of the truck.