LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 park brake issue with other warnings

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LR3 park brake issue with other warnings

Hello all, so yesterday i was driving around Minneapolis (pretty bad roads) and all of a sudden the red park brake light came on with the warning "park brake off lift switch to apply". I didn't hear any noises or anything different in the drivability. i haven't checked to see if parking brake works as i am worried if i might not be able to get it released. i very rarely use the park brake. maybe few months ago as i recall. when i started today i got transmission fault traction reduced but again didn't affect drivability. i went and checked out my battery and only had 49% charge after driving for 20 mins. it had an AGM battery man date 2015.would this cause an issue with the parking brake and the other errors? i also have a low coolant level warning.i checked the coolant level and replaced the coolant level sensor but warning never went away. im not sure if this is related though. and help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Old 11-18-2019, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

Sound likes the switch was pressed down momentarily, meaning it was off and you were trying to turn it off. So either you pressed the switch or the switch is faulty. What is odd is the red parking light, I would not expect that to come on. Usually the red light is on when engaged or if there is a major fault.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Mudding

I havnt touched the parking brake switch in months lol. It came on while i was driving on some bad roads. Im a bit confused on the red light as well because when i searched online almost everyone had the amber light come on.

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Sound likes the switch was pressed down momentarily, meaning it was off and you were trying to turn it off. So either you pressed the switch or the switch is faulty. What is odd is the red parking light, I would not expect that to come on. Usually the red light is on when engaged or if there is a major fault.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I usually see this message when I open the door while the vehicle is running. Do you ever get a random alarm going off after locking the doors? If you have a bad door switch, the vehicle might think one of the doors is open.

However, if this fault showed up the same time you got a Transmission Fault, then they are likely related and could be a battery issue as you suggest. We find batteries typically have a 4-7 year life span. We are currently replacing original batteries on 2014 and 2015 vehicles, so that sounds about right.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Mudding

no i do not have any alarm after locking doors. I do have a bad door lock on drivers rear. It just doesn't lock with the rest of the doors. But i had that since i bought the car 4 years ago.
i got the transmission fault 2 days after parking brake light came on. Is there a battery you would recommend? Maybe i could change it and see.I do live in minnesnowta lol.

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
I usually see this message when I open the door while the vehicle is running. Do you ever get a random alarm going off after locking the doors? If you have a bad door switch, the vehicle might think one of the doors is open.

However, if this fault showed up the same time you got a Transmission Fault, then they are likely related and could be a battery issue as you suggest. We find batteries typically have a 4-7 year life span. We are currently replacing original batteries on 2014 and 2015 vehicles, so that sounds about right.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

It could be related to voltage. Seems like after 20 min you should have a charged battery....

Old 11-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
It could be related to voltage. Seems like after 20 min you should have a charged battery....
that is what i thought so too.i will look for a good battery first and start from there. do you have any suggestions on what battery i should go for?

Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I think the standard replacement is the Interstate. I've used that and I've used the (AGM) Deka....both are fine. I don't live in a particularly cold climate though, so others can probably give you better feedback than I can.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I have advance auto batteries in 2 of mine. One is standard the other is an AGM. Both seem to get the job done in the cold.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Mudding

will check both and see what i can get. thanks

Quick Reply: LR3 park brake issue with other warnings