LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Radio Stuck in Phone Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LR3 Radio Stuck in Phone Mode

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE and the radio is stuck in phone mode. I recently purchased the vehicle and its been this way since I've owned it. First off, I know this similar thread has been posted a million times it seems but I've done everything I've found on every thread and the problem still persists. In summary here is the deal and what I've done.

Situation:
- Radio defaults to phone mode whenever its turned on and you can't take it off phone mode, no radio, no CD, nothing.
- You can hear the radio for a half second when you first turn it on and then it kicks into phone mode.
- Nav still works
- You can still connect with your phone through bluetooth and it works (can receive and make calls)
- Rear seat headphones still play radio

Action:
- Hard reset of the battery done (removing terminals and place a wire between them for 10 minutes). No change
- Followed recommendations on 3rd post down on this thread
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...de-only-22463/
- This gets me out of phone mode but without sound (as he describes). When I turn ignition off, plug the MOST back in, and turn it back on, it goes back into phone mode

On top of this, I had the problem fixed somewhat temporarily at one point. When I initially followed the thread I mentioned above, it worked! Everything was working and it stayed like this for several days. Problem though was my reception was terrible and I was only picking up one station very weakly. While toubleshooting this new issue, I found myself in the extra settings mode within the radio and accidentally changed something (don't ask me what) and it kicked the radio back in phone mode. I spent the better part of the day trying to follow the procedure I did before and further troubleshoot but nothing worked.

I have all the wiring diagrams which have helped a bit. My findings showed the antenna outlet on the radio was only producing 5V when I believe it should be around 15-30V?? If so this ties in with the weak radio reception. The fact that I'm still getting radio, although weak reception, in the back seats headphone connections leads me to believe that the amp is still working. I'm leaning towards a faulty radio and/or integrated head unit. These suckers are expensive so I want to be sure before I order one.

Any thoughts out there? I don't know anyone else with a LR3 HSE, otherwise I'd borrow their radio/head unit and try it out in mine. Would a MOST fiber optic loop tool get me any more info that I don't already know?

Last edited by Ryball; 08-20-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Minor mistakes
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 landrover lr3 hse no sound and nag.stuck in landrover screen. Helpppp!!! Everything was working fine til i came back out from my sons basketball game.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:00 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I would first try a hard reset of your system... basically, disconnect battery and connect the positive and negative leads together for a few minutes, then reconnect to battery.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 AM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried the hard reset a while back. After many hours of troubleshooting, I was 95% sure the problem was something internal in the radio. I found a compatible radio from an auto wrecker/junk yard for $125 and replaced it. Everything is fine now.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out....

Old 06-05-2021, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

I hope this gets to some people still looking for solutions about getting stuck in "Phone Mode", as I've been searching for ~9 months and tried everything recommended across various forums :: hard resets, pulling fuses, etc. I originally started having this issue on and off for several months, would have a few good weeks being fully operational and then it would stay locked up; I've been fully locked out of the stereo for the past 7 months. I had tried everything that had been mentioned online.

I basically spent an afternoon pulling apart the dash/head unit to troubleshoot, I suspect it has something to do with the phone toggles in the steering wheel and the interface with the stereo but still TBD. What ended up working for me is pulling the dash apart and exposing the stereo wiring to try and work back/isolate the phone/bluetooth interface to disconnect. Not sure if I actually accomplished that, but I ended up unplugging/leaving unplugged what I assume is an phone/bluetooth input from stereo into the amplifier under the passenger seat. VOILA, stereo resurrected. Still not sure if my assumptions are correct, but the stereo is fully functional now and feels SO good to be working again. I have left it unplugged for the time being and will update if I learn anything else.

Pic for reference.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:09 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another potential fix - albeit temporary

So I pulled the unit out, and with the optical plug (orange cables) out, it allowed me to get beyond the radio mode and access the radio, but no audio (obviously).

what I proceeded to do on a trial and error basis was the thought process of getting past the phone check in the unit.

So what I did was kept the plug unclipped, but inserted enough to get a signal, then I held the power / Phone button in while I reinserted the optical cable… by jiggling in and out the cable, I was able to get beyond the phone mode and my radio audio works again!!!!

this is I’m sure a fluke as these radios seem to have issues, but try it out…. It’s free.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by krautmeister
So I pulled the unit out, and with the optical plug (orange cables) out, it allowed me to get beyond the radio mode and access the radio, but no audio (obviously).

what I proceeded to do on a trial and error basis was the thought process of getting past the phone check in the unit.

So what I did was kept the plug unclipped, but inserted enough to get a signal, then I held the power / Phone button in while I reinserted the optical cable… by jiggling in and out the cable, I was able to get beyond the phone mode and my radio audio works again!!!!

this is I’m sure a fluke as these radios seem to have issues, but try it out…. It’s free.
Glad this worked for you. On mine I ended up getting a headunit off of eBay as no other tricks or resets worked.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Stuck in phone mode fix

In my 2005 LR3 I adjusted the passenger seat forward and unplugged and plugged back in the power connector with the car running and it exited phone mode.

Old 03-10-2023, 11:33 PM
Default Simple solution I stumbled on.

Our 2009 LR3 had been stuck in phone mode for a few months. We were leaving the house when my daughter turned on the radio before I got to the vehicle and it turned on without the key in the ignition. Started the car up and have had no problem since.