LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Rotary Coupler or Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default LR3 Rotary Coupler or Clock Spring

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the rotary coupler using the Chinese made version for about $40 (US)? I ordered one today and then got thinking there must be a good reason that Land Rover's part (Clock Spring LR018556ES) is from $200 to $300 depending on where you buy it from. I don't know if my rotary coupler/clock spring is bad yet, but my cruise control has apparently died completely after being intermittent for several months, radio volume, mode controls and horn still work fine. I thought I'd better order a clock spring before taking the steering wheel off just in case, but I was not too thrilled about spending nearly $400 (CDN) for it from an "official" source. Perhaps I'll regret my cheap ways...

Old 11-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 739 Likes on 621 Posts

This is not a new issue, the cruise switches. What is weird is my truck has been intermittent since the day I got it. Sometimes they are fine for days/weeks. Then every so often they go out. I am not yet convinced its the clock spring. I think it could be caused by cold solder joints, those are solder connections that crack and cause all sorts of intermittent issues. The cluster has this problem, but when that starts to fails there are numerous issues. People say that the switches that are used more, volume, hold up fine though. True. But I do not know who made the volume switches versus the cruise switches. Very, very often systems are made to spec by a third party. The radio head was all designed by Alpine so its very likely that they designed the volume switch board and maybe even produced it for Rover. The cruise switches are likely made by someone else, usually whomever made the cluster. VDO maybe? In Mercedes and BMW this is the case. So my theory is that different types of solder where used and the cruise switches used lead-free, which is known to fail and crack a lot easier. So thats my 2 cents. But I have yet to take the switches apart and reflow mine to see if its fixes the issue, mainly cause its not a problem that bugs me enough, yet...

Also, FYI you can get a BritPart replacement clock spring for $150 shipped. The cheapest I can find OEM LR Genuine is $330 shipped. I am not a huge fan of BritPart but they often repackage OEM, so you may very well end up with an OEM part with the logo scratched off.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 739 Likes on 621 Posts

Oh, you could also try used. I have access to a parts truck that is being stripped down. I know the clock spring is already out and unless sold, it should be available.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Oh, you could also try used. I have access to a parts truck that is being stripped down. I know the clock spring is already out and unless sold, it should be available.
Thanks, I'll wait to see what the made in China one looks like, although one of the British sites had a "China" imprint in the plastic on the back side, so I'm fairly confident that the part will work. I guess it is a waiting game. All other comments are welcome, this COVID-19 stuff is driving all of us out of this world.Total Covid-19 cases here are about 149 in a city of 100,000 as of today, hopefully we'll all get better soon...

Edit: The ebay item is at https://www.ebay.com/itm/223470943447

Last edited by enb54; 11-30-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: ebay item link
Old 11-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

It may not be the clockspring at all. The connections for the cruise control - as DakotaTravler points out - are notorious. Before you start thinking about changing the clockspring I'd suggest removing the cruise switch, checking for any lose wires, etc and reassembling. It's a simple process; doesn't take long, and cures most of these issues.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Hi pagoda and thanks, I definitely will be checking out the wiring and switches before pulling the steering wheel, just don't like fooling with the airbags so will wait for the clock spring to get here on the slow boat from China.It is amazingly inexpensive, so I'm not expecting perfection, but I have been surprised before, my amateur radio Baofeng transceiver was only $38 (CDN) and it is absolutely amazing...

Old 11-30-2020, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The airbag isn't a problem. Disconnect the battery. Let the vehicle go to sleep. Hard reset it if you like. Get a wire coat hanger with a 90 degree band at the end and go for it. There's a couple of links out there I know of from having done this myself.

Don't worry that this is a LR4 - it shows how the airbag unit comes out and is the same on the 3:

This is the post that shows the wiring from the other forum when I did the job: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/disco...ghlight=cruise

Good luck.