LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Stereo Amp Fiber Optic Cable Issues: HALP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:01 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 Stereo Amp Fiber Optic Cable Issues: HALP!

Hey guys! Have had my LR for a little over a year and more recently ran into an issue with my stereo. I did a tablet install on my '05 SE with no NAV unit and during the install, accidentally nicked the orange fiber optic cable on the driverside behind the stereo bezel. I taped it with electrical tape and it worked intermittently for a few weeks, but has stopped all together since. I have been searching the forums for more information on replacement with little to no luck. The only info I have come across is about the common amp issues etc. I'm thinking I just need to replace the cable from a junkyard LR and hopefully that would be it.

Any help would be appreciated! I need my stereo back!!

Here's a pic of my LR this winter

Old 05-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 709 Likes on 597 Posts

Being fiber optic, replacement is your best bet as splicing is difficult without the proper tools. Are you sure you nicked it all the way in? That orange casing is pretty tough.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had good results with splicing using barrel style wire connectors. Unsheeth the fibre optic ends, insert both cut ends, crimp lightly and tape together. You can shine a light through the cable and see if it emits at the other end.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Being fiber optic, replacement is your best bet as splicing is difficult without the proper tools. Are you sure you nicked it all the way in? That orange casing is pretty tough.
Yea, I'm pretty certain. I can see light coming out and the casing is very clearly cut.

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
I have had good results with splicing using barrel style wire connectors. Unsheeth the fibre optic ends, insert both cut ends, crimp lightly and tape together. You can shine a light through the cable and see if it emits at the other end.
Are you saying that I can cut the cable then remove some of the casing on either end and re crimp with the barrel style?

Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by javib00
Yea, I'm pretty certain. I can see light coming out and the casing is very clearly cut.

Are you saying that I can cut the cable then remove some of the casing on either end and re crimp with the barrel style?
Correct, don’t over due the crimp, just enough to keep the 2 ends together or you will crush the fibre optic and re-cut/sheeth/crimp. And tape it up.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Im just surprised that will work on a data network. I could see it working with "analog" audio and such. I just would expect some occasional errata in the data that would cause faults. But ya got nothing to lose since you have to replace it anyway! If it works, update the thread!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 PM
8th Gear

It worked! Surprisingly simple, just made sure the ends were connected correctly and checked audio while doing so, then joined everything together. Finally I can listen to music again! Lol

Thanks guys. The connection was a little fragile, but mostly because the slack from the wire was very tight.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Good to hear! But if you get any weird issues, let us know.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Another rover back on road-er. Idk. Online sells “loop” kits with connectors and professional shrink as well. Just another method without blowing up the wallet. The optic cable is transmitting light from one end to the other, what “information/data” is it actually sending? Depending on the module, it has multi, multi pin connectors anyhow.

Last edited by Nosugar0carbs; 05-21-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, just wondering if you have a link for the barrel type connector you used?

Many thanks
Craig

Quick Reply: LR3 Stereo Amp Fiber Optic Cable Issues: HALP!