LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 stock air filter box is not water tight

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts
Default LR3 stock air filter box is not water tight

I have been working on some projects, one involving the air filter box. Its pretty clear to me that its not water tight by any means. Granted, its not intended to be either. The issue is the design, mainly the small side compartment. Noy I am not looking to have a submarine, but I do have a snorkel and have sealed things up. Yet I noticed again there is some dirty water dried inside. So I took a closer look. The issue is the interface between the two halves. The filter is fine because the filter itself has a rubber seal around the edge. But the side compartment has no seal, at least not on mine. Was there a seal originally, some sort of rubber insert? And if water gets into this part, it can get to the filter side no problem. I suspect this would only be an issue for very long water crossings in deep water. But even my puddle jumping last weekend clearly shows I had water blasted inside. I had just cleaned the throttle body and all parts associated. So I know it was spotless. I looked at the battery covers. Similar design and the upper cover does have a foam insert to help seal.

So I guess this is more of a warning than anything to those that do serious water crossings or at least planning to. I am tempted to pick up another filter box, seal the inlet/outlet and submerge into a water tank to see how quickly it floods. With mine I will probably create a seal and maybe even close off that side portion from the rest of the filter box.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:58 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What are those three 90 degree air line connections for?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Breathers for the trans, front diff and transfer case.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Mudding

Ok. But why in the airbox? Isn't there negative air pressure inside the airbox? Wouldn't this act like a straw in an almost empty soda? Shouldn't they be just vented to the atmosphere? Me gets the idea, just seems like an odd place to vent to. An alternate to stock would be like this ARB breather... I looked in a spare airbox I have and there is no seal of any kind in the small side chamber. Just an open drain at the bottom. No seal at the lid.

Last edited by 5280LR3; 10-14-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added seal info
Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Camel Trophy

They are fixed to bottom side of the box. There is no negative pressure. Not sure what you mean by comparing to a straw and soda can, makes no sense.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Mudding

I'll simplify it. Wouldn't the air moving through the airbox be pulling oil or oil vapor up through your breathers?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy

No. Not unless the laws of physics are re-wrote.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was aware of the 'holes' in the air box and I find it sort of a challenge to try to cross deep water and not expect to find water in the air box. I have a snorkel but I installed it for dust only, not water crossings. The real rub for me is the computer for the vehicle is under the passenger seat, down low, where water ingress could be a real issue. Not a great design, in my opinion. Thought of moving it, but to where? Good door seals are a must, even for minimal water depth. Also the fact that even in minimal water depth the fan sprays mud and debris all over inside the engine area and really creates a mess after it dries.
But, this is a thread about the air box not snorkels and I did just rant on. Please excuse the direction of the rant.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Camel Trophy

krick3tt - the amp is under the seat, not the PCM. But the PCM is still located in a relatively bad location, outside the firewall and not well water protected for deep crossings. They can be sealed up to help. Some seal the boxes and connections up. Some open then up and coat the boards to water proof.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update. I think that a tech notice on protecting the PCM would be a great addition to the LR maintenance program, If anyone has done it.

Quick Reply: LR3 stock air filter box is not water tight