LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default LR3 suspension question

I thought I had a slow leak from my suspension because after 2 days my LR3 would be on the bump stops, no error codes on dash or with my Icarsoft 930 code reader, so I disconnected my battery after raising my LR3 to off road height to see where(front/back) it was leaking from. Its been over 24 hours and there is no sinking of the LR3, its still in off road height. Any suggestions? Thanks. What could be the cause of my sinking, something with the self leveling??

Old 06-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Yeah this has been written about a few times over the years. The LR3's EAS never really turns off. It will wake up once in a while and check the suspension and self-level. Sometimes it can incrementally adjust itself all the way down by such a progression. I don't really know what's normal and what's not, because most of the time I park in the garage and know that I'm not driving for a few days I put it in Access height myself, mostly because I want to let air out of the shocks (in my mind that would reduce the pressure internal to each shock) and because I know the compressor is going to run anyway (to fill the gallery, it usually does) on startup. Point being I don't observe much of this incremental dropping since I'm at Access already.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I do know mine self levels and sets down like 10 seconds after I shut the ignition off

Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Winching
Default 48 hours later

Yeah it's now been almost 48 hours and the lr3 hasn't moved an inch since the battery disconnect. Maybe it's a height sensor.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Maybe what's a height sensor?

I think you have yet to establish that there is a real problem. When you were on bumpstops, what happened when you fired up the engine? Generally if you are truly on bumpstops it's because there was an issue and the LR3 would let you know.

If you have an issue with a bad sensor or calibration, believe me you will know. You'll get a red EAS Fault (cross-articulation) and you'll be sent to bumpstops, unmistakably.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Winching

Your joking about the height sensor, right?

I had a suspension error on my dash but when I raised up my Lr3 it went away. My Lr3 never settled down all the way to the bump stops until recently, pass access height. I changed out my front valve block a couple years back and that solved my front from dropping over night. I also had two red lines over my rear back tires on my 4x4 nav screen. I think that's from having in lift rods.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Not joking...

Originally Posted by mx468
Your joking about the height sensor, right?

I had a suspension error on my dash but when I raised up my Lr3 it went away. My Lr3 never settled down all the way to the bump stops until recently, pass access height. I changed out my front valve block a couple years back and that solved my front from dropping over night. I also had two red lines over my rear back tires on my 4x4 nav screen. I think that's from having in lift rods.
A bad calibration is an error that makes its presence known. I've had multiple experiences with this while going through my bouts with the EAS. Luckily, I think and hope, that's all behind me now. It's left me much more adept at recognizing and diagnosing issues too.

If there was a fault, what did it say? Do you have an IIDTool? I wouldn't worry about the red lines on the 4x4 screen as I think that that's normal.

Finally....sigh....it's "you're" not "your."

Old 06-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by houm_wa
A bad calibration is an error that makes its presence known. I've had multiple experiences with this while going through my bouts with the EAS. Luckily, I think and hope, that's all behind me now. It's left me much more adept at recognizing and diagnosing issues too.

If there was a fault, what did it say? Do you have an IIDTool? I wouldn't worry about the red lines on the 4x4 screen as I think that that's normal.

Finally....sigh....it's "you're" not "your."
Ha ha, no I don't have a IID Tool yet but looking to get one in the near future. I currently use a icarsoft930, its a pretty cool little unit which works on pretty much all of the current Landrovers with a ob2 port. I have a Disco 2 as well, so I need the icarsoft1930 for that dang pesky abs light that pops up every once in a while. And yes I did the shuttle valve bypass wire thingamajiggy.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Winching

So finally after about a week my right rear suspension started to drop first, and then my driver side rear followed. Now I at least have a place to start investigating my suspension woes. Anybody have any suggestions before I start poking around? Rear valve block possible?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If it took a week for it to drop I'd say the solution is ... nothing. Sounds like it's fine to me. Obviously there is something leaking, but at such an incredibly slow rate I'd say it's well within normal and you'll play hell trying to find it. If it dropped overnight, sure - check into the struts and valve block. But a week? Must be one seriously perfect truck if that's your biggest problem!

Quick Reply: LR3 suspension question