LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 System fails on trail in moab!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lr3 System fails on trail in moab!!!

So I go to moab for jeep safari week. Go on my first trail And within 10min I try going up a small hill and realize all of my warning light's are on and I'm on the ground with no air in my air bags and stuck in low range. Aka "****ed" I'm to low to go anywhere and no traction controls at all. Whatever the problem is, small or big it 100% ****ed me. If it was not for hundreds of jeeps around me I would still be on the trail broke and stuck because I was to low to go anywhere without tearing up my bottom. There was a bad *** 4×4 flat bed that saved my ***.
bottom line I'm getting rid of my air ride. It could really **** you if something happens to it on a trail. You should to!!!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I would wait a minute on ditching the air ride and get a gap tool so you can do something about it. It really can be a life saver on the trail if you get into electronic trouble. I have one and it goes where the LR3 goes. I bought it the same day as the truck.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...h-connectivity

Last edited by ArmyRover; 04-18-2017 at 08:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jwest (05-02-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would wait a minute on ditching the air ride and get a gap tool so you can do something about it. It really can be a life saver on the trail if you get into electronic trouble.
gap tool?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

it's in the link, you can go into the air suspension and find the problem, and in some cases lie to the system to get it off the bump stops and get off the trail.

Like the day I picked up my LR3 I had a dead TPMS sensor so instead of staring at the warning. I plugged in my gap tool and reprogrammed the ECU so it didn't think it had TPMS and no more annoying warning light.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
it's in the link, you can go into the air suspension and find the problem, and in some cases lie to the system to get it off the bump stops and get off the trail.

Like the day I picked up my LR3 I had a dead TPMS sensor so instead of staring at the warning. I plugged in my gap tool and reprogrammed the ECU so it didn't think it had TPMS and no more annoying warning light.
sweet man thanks for the info. I'm still learning about these rovers.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Me to, I ventured into LR3 ownership a week ago. Been around Rovers for 15 years though. So I had a head start.

The air suspension when functional is simply awesome off road. I have spent a lot of time off road in a heavily modified LR3 on 35's. It is capable beyond belief.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrat
So I go to moab for jeep safari week. Go on my first trail And within 10min I try going up a small hill and realize all of my warning light's are on and I'm on the ground with no air in my air bags and stuck in low range. Aka "****ed" I'm to low to go anywhere and no traction controls at all. Whatever the problem is, small or big it 100% ****ed me. If it was not for hundreds of jeeps around me I would still be on the trail broke and stuck because I was to low to go anywhere without tearing up my bottom. There was a bad *** 4×4 flat bed that saved my ***.
bottom line I'm getting rid of my air ride. It could really **** you if something happens to it on a trail. You should to!!!
also on the main LR3 screen look at the proud Rhino bump stop extension kit, if you had that fitted you would not of been stuck. You really need to go into everything on an LR3 it's not a wrangler! I have owned both and would take the LR3 any day but not without knowing it inside out.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GBR.R
also on the main LR3 screen look at the proud Rhino bump stop extension kit, if you had that fitted you would not of been stuck. You really need to go into everything on an LR3 it's not a wrangler! I have owned both and would take the LR3 any day but not without knowing it inside out.
good to know now. I'll get a pair asap. I agree I love the rover but everything has flaws. I just need to find them lol. The hard way it seems haha. Thanks man.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Sweet video!

Yeah, the EAS is awesome and the more we learn about it (it's been out 12 years now) the more we can deal with it's issues. There are really very few issues that cause it to go to bumpstops, and even a dying compressor, if caught early enough, can be bypassed by a few fuses. So, what happened to you really shouldn't ever happen on a trail if the driver is diligent and does some pre-trip inspecting. The GAP Tool is more important to have in your tool kit than a screwdriver.

Curious, before you had the Jeeps help you, what did you do to address the fault? Generally the more sinister they appear, the simpler they are to get around.

Quick Reply: Lr3 System fails on trail in moab!!!