LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Ticking after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is fascinating discussion. I also have the tick on an '06 LR3 with 120K mikes. Been hearing it for about the last 20K. Only audible when I can hear it reflecting off another car or maybe in a tunnel.

Like others I assumed exhaust manifold only because I thought "this isn't a 1973 Mopar engine - it won't have lifter tick." But it sounds a lot like a lifter, just quieter than I've heard before.

Question and concern about running Restore: isn't this the stuff that's supposed to increase compression in old engines by filling cylinder scoring? Do I really want that in my LR3 engine that is otherwise running fine?

Old 11-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a tapping as well, but seems focused on the passenger side. It also isn't as intermittent as the other videos posted earlier in this thread (instead of tap-tap-TAP-tap-TAP-tap-tap mine is more tap-tap-TAP-TAP-TAP-tap-tap where it comes and goes on a regular frequency, less like typewriter tick) and my engine has been replaced, so based on that I'm thinking mine is an exhaust leak.

I'd be concerned as well about adding Restore. Those kinds of things are never recommended by manufacturers and who knows what the long term implications are (they are usually band aids to help a dying engine run a few thousand miles more). That said, there are cases where they do work...please keep us updated on the long term status of these fixes with Restore!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Curious why you needed a new engine. I could see using restore when I have 250K+ miles and some issues (compression, oil blowby, etc) and am delaying a rebuild or a trip to the boneyard. Basically a "nothing to lose" option.

Last edited by RipD; 11-07-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by RipD
I could see using restore when I have 250K+ miles and some issues (compression, oil blowby, etc) and am delaying a rebuild or a trip to the boneyard. Basically a "nothing to lose" option.
Right exactly. Not on an engine that you'd expect to be driving for another 50-100K miles.

My engine threw a rod. It had a bit of a strange vibration at 1100 rpms when I bought it, and then the PCV went bad and filled the intake with oil. Either it was already weakened/damaged and the ingestion of oil was the straw that broke the camel's back, or the mechanic it was at didn't realize how much oil had been drawn from the sump and ran it too long with low oil. They claim they changed the oil before it died, but I saw the oil and it was black. Swapped in a used engine with less miles.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_R
This is fascinating discussion. I also have the tick on an '06 LR3 with 120K mikes. Been hearing it for about the last 20K. Only audible when I can hear it reflecting off another car or maybe in a tunnel.

Like others I assumed exhaust manifold only because I thought "this isn't a 1973 Mopar engine - it won't have lifter tick." But it sounds a lot like a lifter, just quieter than I've heard before.

Question and concern about running Restore: isn't this the stuff that's supposed to increase compression in old engines by filling cylinder scoring? Do I really want that in my LR3 engine that is otherwise running fine?

After putting the restore in, my noise hasn’t returned. I️ have (had) the tick noise and also have the exhaust noise so glad at least one of them is gone. I️ use all kinds of stuff in my motor, Lucas every oil change, I’ve put marvels, seafoam and some other stuff I️ can’t remember. It’s never done any harm, that I️ know of. These aj jag engines are amazingly strong, I️ have 185,000 but bought mine from a young girl who completely destroyed it. The oil plug was completely rusted to the pan so I’m almost certain she never changed the oil. Right now I’m having problems with PO171 and PO174, we cannot find any type of leak, and almost every possible thing has been replaced relating to that.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djkronik57
They claim they changed the oil before it died, but I saw the oil and it was black. Swapped in a used engine with less miles.
Holy crap. How long do you have run one of these without an oil change for it to turn black. It's not like these engines get very hot.

Originally Posted by MikeDDD
The oil plug was completely rusted to the pan so I’m almost certain she never changed the oil.
Amazing. Given that I can see why would add stuff. My LR3 was dealer maintained before I got it at ~60K miles and has been to Rover only mechanic for everything since. Oil changes by them or me usually before 7K miles. Assuming my engine has not been abused at all. Still has the tick...

Old 11-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Winching

Used oil is always pretty dark (ok maybe not black). Much darker than fresh oil. Granted, crazy catastrophic things happened inside that allowed the oil to leak out of the pan, but if they had just changed the oil (and thus made sure it wasn't too low from the PCV ingesting it) it should have been less black-ish.

They probably continued to drive it after replacing the PCV without checking the oil level, causing it to throw a rod. Hard to prove though, I just don't go back there anymore.

FYI, both of my engines have/had the same tick. The new one only has 50,000 miles, but previous maintenance is unknown. The 95,000 mile failed one was always serviced at the dealer with regular intervals.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update: Safe to say this is the solution

Hi folks,

I just wanted to report back to those who were concerned about using the restore product that I now have 170k miles on my 2006 LR3 HSE. 75k of which were after starting to use the Motormedic + 5w-30 synthetic blend + Restore product and the only time i've heard it tick even a little is when it's really hot like out in the desert AND is overdue for an oil change. Even then it's nowhere near as bad as it was, the rest of the time she runs better than ever.

So save yourself a headache throw some restore in there and move onto the next thing to fix. Currently for me it's sunroof drains. But overall she's been more reliable than I expected.

Cheers,
_av

The following users liked this post:
RossN99 (04-08-2020)