LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lr3 tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lr3 tires

I've heard that 285/60R18 are the biggest tires i can fit into an lr3, is this with the suspension at it maximum height or when it lowered. I was planning on buying 305/40R22 for my counsin which is about a 32 inch tire. can anybody help me?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: lr3 tires

I have the 285/60R18 in the cooper zeon, it is a great tire and has not rubbed in any mode. I think a 32 inch tire will rub sometimes visit this webiste to get a full rundown of tires tested so far. tire selection

Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Overlanding

it only talks about flotation tires, not about metric sizes. i am trying to order 305/40R22 and i was wondering if he lowers the airsuspension it will rub on his fenders. it will be only for street use, not offroading.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything bigger than a 285 WILL rub. If you never plan to put the LR3 in access mode (famous last words) and you don't ever turn the wheel to full lock (practically impossible) you may be able to get away with ever so slightly bigger tires. HOWEVER, as I have said countless times before, if you are changing to after market wheels (which 22" obviously are), your problem may very well come from the wheels themselves if you are not paying attention to the factory off-set specs. There is a great selection of beautiful wheels out there, most of which were never intended to go on a Land Rover. So, if you are dead set on ruining the ride quality and handicaping the off road capabilities of such an awesome vehicle with low profile tires [:'(], do your homework on the wheel selection as well if not more so that on the tires and you should be ok.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

305 40s will rub a 275 65 rubs just a hair.
in my opinion the 2 look cool but scream i have a lr and don't know anything about vehicles its like a chick with a dick
would you put those on a jeep wrangler rubicon?
your vehicle is more off road capable
you dont have a poser you have the real thing
when it comes to off road

if you have 18s let me know what you want for them
just email it to me also if you want to go with the 32" tire we can get it not to rub i can make you new arms and you can lift the vehicle 2" in all modes

Old 06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Overlanding

i am sorry but my cousin has 19' wheeles, which he's planning to keep to set with offroad tires, I saw these redbourne duke wheeles which are made specially for land rovers. anybody knows if he's going to have to remove the tpms from the old wheeles or how does it work! I am planning to order 285/60R22 for my counsin I think they are specially made for land rover and have good reviews and looks. How come i only see land rovers with all terrain tires, i think that in serious offroad situations are worthless, any body out there with agressive super swampers on their LR3?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Winching

Ok, let me try to address your concerns one at a time.

1. There's no such thing as a 19" off road tire here in the states for a Land Rover, that I am aware of. He will more than likely have to swap for 18's like most of us did if you want any kind of decent tire selection for off roadin.

2. Redbournes are very nice wheels and work very well with Landies. However, you will have to eitherswap the TPM's to the new wheels or put up with looking at the TPM warning icon lit up constantly on his dash.

3. And last but not least, one of my favorite subjects... AT tires on a Rover. Why? For the same reason you buy a Land Rover in the first place. Land Rovers are a proven icon of "off road" capability. They are the vehicles to which all other off road vehiclescompare themselves to. You will probably not find any argument on this forum that Land Rovers are simply themost capableoff road vehicles in the market. However, the "off road purists" seem to forget that Land Rovers, especially the late models are also top class "ON-ROAD" vehicles as well. You would be very hard pressed to find a vehicle that can give you the on-road comfort and ride quality of an LR3 or a RR with the right tires on it. You would also be extremely hard pressed to find a vehicle that will match the off-road abilities of a Landie, let's not even mention finding a vehicle that can do BOTH extremely well as a Land Rover can.

Late model Land Rovervehicles areabout no compromises. Sure you could buy an oldJeep and put a lift, super swampers and lockers on it, do some bumper trimming and you'd have a very capable off road vehicle that would keep up with a Rover for the most part. But what happens when you have to drive it back home? It will beat you to death, it will be unstable to the point of being unsafe at high speeds not to mention loud, shakyand ugly as heck while the same Landie you were following on the trail is Still turning heads and taking you home in top class luxury. NO COMPROMISES. Why choose to do good at one or the other, when you could have a rover and excell at both? That is why we use all terrains and not Super Swampers for the late models. The traction control on late model landies is so well designed and works so well in actual use that a good set of all terrain tires is all a new landie needs to tackle anything you can throw at it off road, and still get you home in quiet, smooth comfort!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Overlanding

thank you for your response, very informative. I was in the market for a 2004 range rover, but I drove my cousins LR3 AND THE BUG HIT ME. I will be looking for a 2005 or 2006 LR3 this week, it's very tough looking ever tougher looking than the rangie. In the case of the TMPS can I remove it from the factory and just install it on my new set of wheeles, is it hard to do this or I would need an expert to do it?

Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Winching

Mine were changed by the regular guys at the tire shop when I got my 18' wheels so even though I haven't done it myself, I would have to assume that it's not that complicated to do with some basic tools. The main problem comes in the process of taking the old tires off. If the machine used is not the right kind or the knuckle head operating it is not paying attention, the sensors CAN be damaged.

If I was making a permanent switch to different wheels, I'd take the sensors from the original wheels and swap them, as I did with mine. If I was making an extraset of wheels that I swap seasonally (winter/sumer tires)I'd spend the extra money and buy new sensors for the new wheels and get them programmed into the trucks cpu.

About the LR3, I'd have to agree. It has more of a "I really mean business" look than the RR does. It's every inch just as capable off road as a RR at around 30k less. Has seating for 7 with the first real 3rd row for 6' adults I know of for a truck of it's size and has more cargo room, both features which I need on a very frequent basis. However, there's something to be said about being the top dog sitting behind the wheel of alate modelRange Rover!!!!

I plan on keeping my LR3 for ever; first vehicle I have owned in my 41 years I can actually say that about. However there's that future plan to maybe buy a used late model Rangie at a good price sometime in the far future and use the LR3 as my off road toy

Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Overlanding

with so many aftermarket wheeles to choose from it hard to decide on which to buy or on which the TPMS will work. I'll be getting the wheeles and tires package, so my counsin and me will have to mount the new set of wheeles and remove the TPMS from the factory wheeles, so that should not be a problem. As for the LR3 to tell you the truth, I like the cabin of the LR3 a little more than the one on the range rover eventhough it was a tough decision. i also looked at the porsche cayenne, the toyota land cruiser and the infinity fx35, but their interior is so bland,not as luxurious as the on on the land rovers.

Quick Reply: lr3 tires