LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 - Wont Move out of park

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LR3 - Wont Move out of park

Last night I left my moon roof open on my 06 LR3 and the skies opened up. By the time I got in the car, the cabin was soaked pretty good but It started fine and I drove it home without consequence.

This morning when I started it, I received a Transmission Fault message, saying limited gears are available, and the car will not move from Park. The check Engine light is on. (not flashing).

The terrain response took the brunt of the water. I happen to have a brand new one of those. LONG story....

But that's really the whole story... any guidance or idea on what the issue might be? I am 50 miles from my dealer. To tow it there would be just tragic..

HELP!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

This sounds like the brake light switch, which is a common failure. Many people replace as a preventative measure anyway.

Details and pictures can be found here. DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - D3 Brake Light Fault?

regards

Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Mudding

I would be ecstatic if you were right. Thanks for the link.. I located the switch under the dash, removed the cover and got "better" access to it but still haven't removed the wiring, although I think I can get it off with a little more fooling around. After I do though... how does the actual switch come out?

What is that little blue thing around the back "hose" looking thing? Is that what holds it in the mount?

Do I just tug the switch out of there??

Really appreciate the help! For now, Given this was caused by a moisture issue, The switch is draped with pantyhose filled with rice.. with the intend of drawing some moisture out of it. Yes - a dream. I know.

Updated: 6:00 PM 12/22/2012 -

Figured it out. Removed the wiring clip with us of a fat finger and a flat head screw driver. Then reached in and grabbed the switch and twisted it out slowly, but with some brawn. Part arrives tomorrow. We shall see.

Last edited by mirepoixmatt; 12-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Mudding

New Brake Light Switch Installed ten minutes ago. Car is still giving the same messages... Transmission Fault, Limited Gears available, and won't allow me out of park.

Any ideas?

Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting the center console wet usually makes the LR3 angry. In most cases it's because of a spilled beverage. But perhaps another good place to start would be verifying battery voltage and all brake lights functioning properly. Both of those have been known to cause all manner of faults as well, and would certainly be cheaper than putting in a new center console.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Mudding

Update:

Brake Light Switch install was successful but didn't resolved the problem.

This was next step...

Disconnect Battery:

I removed the center console which was remarkably easy after looking at some pics I found by a German Poster.

LR3 - Zerlegen Mittelkonsole 06 - Ausbau Mittelkonsole | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The console removes with two screws and two clips. First screw is visible under Park Brake Lever, and the second screw is in the same spot on the passenger side under the rubber holder.. (Pops right out w a flat-head screw driver). The clips are on the top and as per the photo, lifting up in this spots will free the whole piece.

Even though it will feel "free", Do not lift up too far as there are wires beneath. You have about 10" to work with.

There are THREE harnesses to disconnect underneath.

To remove the shifter, (this is so dumb and surprising), just puch down, and then give a good tug up... no screw, nada. Just pull up.. Removal of this whole console took an alarming 5 minutes.

After removing the console, I took the piece in the house and just cleaned it up and kept it in a warm dry place overnight. I wasn't sure if this was the cause of the problem. Likely NOT as the park brake, suspension control, and terrain response controls all worked after the car was spewing the Transmission Fault. Regardless, it was a great opportunity to clean up the console. (Cigar ashes in the honeycomb under the shifter... all gone. That one piece actually can be taken apart into three separate pieces... the trim (including the park brake), the terrain response module, and the honeycomb the shifter goes through... with just some simply clips. No tools required.

When you remove the console, there are 4 or 5 more harnesses. I disconnected all of them. There was about an inches of water below. I took a towel and soaked most of it up. I had limited space to work with so it took like 30 minutes to do this with my fat hands. I then took a hair dryer, and dried out any sign of moister. I was obviously careful to not fry any wires.

I used a pink hair dryer and sat out in the parking lot (live in a condo) for an hour last night (Christmas Eve). Man. Hear me roar.

I then let the car sit overnight, battery cable still disconnected.

This morning I went out, reconnected everything, attached Battery cable and started her up.

First, i was disappointed because the Check Engine light came on and stayed on... however, the "Transmission Fault. Limited Gears Available" was gone. I went to see if the shifter would move out of park, and it did. GREAT SUCCESS! I took her for a drive and she's driving just fine.

So, at MINIMUM, I can drive the car to the dealership at this point, but I am curious if the Check Engine light wouldn't clear itself if the problem were solved. Anyone know?

Can I buy a $80 obd II code reader and clear the light? The Transmission Fault and the Check Engine light came on from the same event, presumably. (or I hope). Otherwise, would have been an incredible coincidence.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by mirepoixmatt; 12-30-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

buy one anyway but its distinct possibility there is corrosion in the shifter connector causing the cel light.

Like I said before, if you didn't get the connector off, then do it before it gets worse.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Mudding

Second update:

Check Engine Light went off yesterday by itself after tooling around town with it.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This worked for me! Thank you!

Thank you!!!!!!! This worked for me too!
I left my sunroof open and it rained into the shifter console. I had the same message saying transmission fault, limited gears available and my shifter would not move from park. I popped my console open without any screws needed. I shop vacuumed out the water on the bottom. Then I pulled each wire harness apart and blow dried them for about a 3 minutes each. Not until I blow dried the harness coming out from under the console cover itself did the car go into park. But I'd suggest blow drying all harnesses anyway just to get them dry. WOW! I was PUMPED when this worked! Now I can go get that coffee I was going for. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mirepoixmatt
Update:

Brake Light Switch install was successful but didn't resolved the problem.

This was next step...

Disconnect Battery:

I removed the center console which was remarkably easy after looking at some pics I found by a German Poster.

LR3 - Zerlegen Mittelkonsole 06 - Ausbau Mittelkonsole | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The console removes with two screws and two clips. First screw is visible under Park Brake Lever, and the second screw is in the same spot on the passenger side under the rubber holder.. (Pops right out w a flat-head screw driver). The clips are on the top and as per the photo, lifting up in this spots will free the whole piece.

Even though it will feel "free", Do not lift up too far as there are wires beneath. You have about 10" to work with.

There are THREE harnesses to disconnect underneath.

To remove the shifter, (this is so dumb and surprising), just puch down, and then give a good tug up... no screw, nada. Just pull up.. Removal of this whole console took an alarming 5 minutes.

After removing the console, I took the piece in the house and just cleaned it up and kept it in a warm dry place overnight. I wasn't sure if this was the cause of the problem. Likely NOT as the park brake, suspension control, and terrain response controls all worked after the car was spewing the Transmission Fault. Regardless, it was a great opportunity to clean up the console. (Cigar ashes in the honeycomb under the shifter... all gone. That one piece actually can be taken apart into three separate pieces... the trim (including the park brake), the terrain response module, and the honeycomb the shifter goes through... with just some simply clips. No tools required.

When you remove the console, there are 4 or 5 more harnesses. I disconnected all of them. There was about an inches of water below. I took a towel and soaked most of it up. I had limited space to work with so it took like 30 minutes to do this with my fat hands. I then took a hair dryer, and dried out any sign of moister. I was obviously careful to not fry any wires.

I used a pink hair dryer and sat out in the parking lot (live in a condo) for an hour last night (Christmas Eve). Man. Hear me roar.

I then let the car sit overnight, battery cable still disconnected.

This morning I went out, reconnected everything, attached Battery cable and started her up.

First, i was disappointed because the Check Engine light came on and stayed on... however, the "Transmission Fault. Limited Gears Available" was gone. I went to see if the shifter would move out of park, and it did. GREAT SUCCESS! I took her for a drive and she's driving just fine.

So, at MINIMUM, I can drive the car to the dealership at this point, but I am curious if the Check Engine light wouldn't clear itself if the problem were solved. Anyone know?

Can I buy a $80 obd II code reader and clear the light? The Transmission Fault and the Check Engine light came on from the same event, presumably. (or I hope). Otherwise, would have been an incredible coincidence.

Merry Christmas.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Mudding

Hey I'm glad it worked. I did the same thing again a few weeks back and although it still gave me anxiety, I felt more confident. This time a whole new set of lights came on. Rain does not discern! In any case, took a day to take it apart and let it sit, also hit it with some wire harness cleaner this time. Put her back together and she's good to go; again.

Glad it worked for you man.

Quick Reply: LR3 - Wont Move out of park