LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 won't start, multiple codes and no solution. Trans fault Parking break fault, HDC

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Mcvayrover, I am sitting on the edge of my seat, what happened with your rover. I am looking at a RRS with similar issues and what to know how to fix the problems. Eagerly anticipating your resolution! Phil

The following users liked this post:
Keiths5n10 (08-22-2021)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could tell you something! We've been getting a lot of rain the past few days so I haven't had a chance to work on it much.

But I will say I am about to go insane! I've traced every wire. Checked and re-checked all voltages and resistance of all the parts. Made sure the ECU and PCM both have power. I changed every fuse and even went through each one to make sure the fuses were making contact with the pins inside. I can honestly say I cannot figure this issue out.

I am starting to think it must be the ABS module (even though that warning light isn't showing), some sensor somewhere, or simply just a bad wire somewhere I am missing. Wish I could shed some light on this issue for you! If you figure anything out, let me know.

I'm here in Arkansas and there are no indy shops and the closest dealer is 3+ hours away. So towing it in somewhere soon might be the only way I will find an answer.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Where at in Arkansas?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Drifting

The truck is currently close to Camden, AR, but will be outside of Little Rock (after being towed) and then in the Searcy area. I see you are also in Arkansas, where at?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Bentonville.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Ahhh this truck was actually purchased in Springdale, AR so not too far away! If only you were closer and could take a look at my truck. I'm already going to pay so much to the stealership hahaa

Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not too much help on the 3 yet, but I'm always willing to try.

There is a land rover shop in Jacksonville, AR, Nigel's Car Place. Mine is there getting an engine.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

I listed the immobilizer as the last thing to look at in my previous list since it is the item I know least about. However, since nothing else seems to be paying dividends, perhaps it's worth your while to consider the immobilizer system as well.

Quick simple question though... have you tried both of your keys to start the car? There's always the chance that the immobilizer chip in your primary remote has been damaged and it will no longer start the car. In that case, the other key should still function appropriately though. If neither key starts the car, then it might be worthwhile to look through these posts:

Looks like there is an immobilizer RFID chip in the key cylinder that can go bad:
LR3 Won't Start

Might also want to check your security/immobilizer relay... pull it out and reseat or swap it with another relay to check it.

Good information pertaining to a DII, but don't know how relevant it is for the D3:
Anti theft/engine immobiliser activated? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

If your car has actually been immobilized, you will get an flashing key icon I believe (not the case with you), but if some component of the immobilizer system has failed, I don't think you will get this warning.

Finally, reading through these posts brought another idea to mind. Perhaps the car does not realize that you are in park? I assume there is a switch/sensor on the gear selector that tells the LR3 you are in Park and allows it to start. If this has gone bad, you probably will have all the lights on your dash on, but not be able to start the car. Perhaps just try shifting through the gears a few times and back to park again and then try to start?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 PM
Drifting
Default Update- running now

cmb6s I can't thank you enough!!

So I changed out the relay for the immobilizer and clicking the alarm button on my FOB multiple times, the alarm sounded. I got in, turned the key, and PRESTO, the car started right up!

Unfortunately, that just seemed to only be half of the problem.
After turning it on and off multiple times, all lights cleared and their were no messages on the dash.

I take it for a spin to see how its running. The moment I would get past 10mph (or when it should shift) the transmission would not shift at all.

Then I got the "bing" transmission fault, suspension lowered, HDC not available.
I then got the amber lights all back now with the suspension light also.

Now after the suspension lowers and all the fault messages are going across the dash, the car shifts perfectly fine and feels as if it runs great.

So now when I turn on my LR3, everything is fine. The moment I drive it where it has to shift into 2nd gear, all the faults pop-up and lowers suspension. Then it drives (and shifts) normally. Guess i'll be looking back through the threads to solve this one.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

That's great news! Well, good news at least. It would be great if it were running properly. When you say you changed out the relay, does that mean you put a new one in or you swapped it with another relay under the hood?

Quick Reply: LR3 won't start, multiple codes and no solution. Trans fault Parking break fault, HDC