LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lr3Hvac Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 03:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lr3Hvac Issue

Hello everyone, have an issue with hvac. Crazy as it sounds. All controls work and temps except when passnger is manually set to cold, vents switch automatically from face or foot defrost. Even though face or foot is selected. Drivers side temps are great. Any ideas? Have enough dash pulled and replaced the two blend doors on right side as well as pulling heater core and thorough flushing. No junk inside. Calibration issues on new doors or can you even calibrate them? Have researched all threads and forums and no one seems to have had this.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Try the distribution motor self-test:

The self-test can be initiated by pressing and holding the ECON and RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

The control module will then compare the current motor position with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED (light emitting diode).

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position. Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:09 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. Yes, did this have an issue as the program light flashes several times then air comes on. Was hoping this would calibrate new motors. Drivers motors look harder to reach. Stranger thing, as the air gets cooler and driving time goes on, I can slowly work passenger temp over to colder setting until it gets to about 68 degrees but
no colder. Then goes straight to defrost. Very odd. Sounds like foot/floor motor but cant find diagram of all blend door motors. I can see thru dash that it is moving when selecting between defrost/face/floor. Very odd indeed.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:12 PM
4wd Low

Another thing, tons of water came in but have fixed all leaks. Radio worked sporadically but now it and amp is totally dead. Must have a bad wire or ground that I have not found yet. Anyone had a water intrusion cause hvac problems?

Old 07-22-2020, 05:14 PM
4wd Low

Finally, I've noticed folks on here talk about battery voltage? Where should this large batteries voltage be at? Sounds like the LR3s are electrically finicky too.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you have a LR diagnostic tool (like the GAP IIDtool)? Might show some errors for the blend doors (if there are any)

As for water ingress - not sure about HVAC problems specifically, but I do think most of the LR3 electrical gremlins are due to water ingress or low/bad battery
Voltage should be 12.5v+ in a charged and healthy battery

I suggest a battery tender/maintainer be used regularly

Old 11-01-2020, 07:50 AM
4wd Low
Default 2006 LR3 SE Ground Locations

Hello, does anyone have a diagram of the Ground Location Codes on a 2p06 LR3? Solved my water intrusion problems. A mess for sure. Backtracking electrical issues is a chore but actually enjoy learning about this. Need a diagram showing where all the ground points are with respective codes to match the wiring diagrams. Have tracked down some and found radio is dead but believe amp may be okay. Is there any way to "bench test" radio? Thanks in advance forum

Old 11-01-2020, 07:53 AM
4wd Low
Default 2006 LR3 SE Defrost Motor Part

Had trouble also in locating correct defrost motor part. Atlantic British said same motor as the upper driver side motor with the long white arm? Part number seem to vary from company but no good pics as to what it actually looks like. Thanks again