LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3's three amigos - Suspension Drop, Brake, HDC Transmission fault... again

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default LR3's three amigos - Suspension Drop, Brake, HDC Transmission fault... again

Ok for the past few months I've been getting the suspension drop, brake light, access mode only, no hdc bing bong bing, lights come up. This only happens when I drive the truck for 10 - 15 miles continuously on the highway. When driving around town in stop and go traffic I have no issues. I had my steering angle checked which was recommended by another member, all was good, brake switch all good, the only thing I can think of is that this happened right after I had new tires put on. I also changed out a rear right height sensor prior to the tire install, I didn't get it calibrated but the truck worked fine and I had no lights come up. I do have the Johnson type rods on my LR3 which lifts the truck up about 2.5". Also when I turn off the truck and restart it all the lights go off and everything works perfectly. is this a sign of a compressor going bad? No suspension drop while parked overnight and the compressor usually runs on start up but stops after about a minute and half. If anyone had similar issues and found a cure please tell.

Attached Thumbnails LR3's three amigos - Suspension Drop, Brake, HDC Transmission fault... again-img_5039.jpg  

Last edited by mx468; 08-25-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

When you say that you didn't get it programmed after the ride height sensor install, does that mean that you didn't get it calibrated? It absolutely needs to be calibrated, otherwise you can get all types of suspension issues.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Winching

Yeah I meant calibrated. Wouldn't it show suspension faults a lot sooner? I drove it about 5000 miles after I installed the height sensor and no faults until new tires. Coincidence? Or height sensor???

Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I had a calibration issue that didn't show up immediately. It certainly wasn't 5,000 miles later, but it was a week or two after I made changes. It also wouldn't really show up around town because I wasn't in the car long enough. However, when I drove "on the highway" (i.e. for trips over 10-15 minutes), I would get a bing bong and red suspension error, then it would lower to the bump stops and tell me that I couldn't drive over 30mph. If I pulled over to the side of the road, turned the car and then back on, the error would go away.

I think it's safe to say that this is not a compressor issue. My guess would be either a ride height sensor going bad, a calibration issue, or perhaps an ABS sensor got damaged during the tire install somehow.

It would help if you could pull the codes, but there seem to be other things that can cause symptoms like yours as well. When you say the brake light switch is good, does that mean that you recently replaced it? I'm not sure there's actually a way to test it, so that's the only surefire way to know. The Ford/Mopar version is about $18 on Amazon I think. Bad tail light/brake light bulbs have been known to do wonky things as well. Have you checked that none of them are out?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thought I'd throw this out there too... I just happened across a very similar thread over on the disco3 board where somebody was complaining about the exact same symptoms you are. And it only happened to them on long drives (not around town). The suggestion was the steering angle sensor needing to be recalibrated.

The title of the thread is "Suspension fault - Only on long drives". Do a search over there for info related to steering angle calibration and you'll find some good info.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

How did you test your brake light switch? I would suggest just replacing it, it's an annoying issue, that typically would turn up when you are in traffic or braking operations.

Consider swapping the factory rods back on while you troubleshoot.

4x4 screen if you have nav and see if one wheel is out of whack or acting funny when the problem occurs.

This is one thread mentioned above..
http://www. disco3. co. uk/forum/topic116345.html

Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Winching

I meant I changed the brake switch out already, also I checked all brake lights replaced with oem's. I checked my steering angle with my Indie mechanic and he said it was fine, I also have 4x4 nav screen and none of the wheels are wonky, the thread over at Disco3 was from me a little whiles back when this happened, I didn't get a concrete solution so I thought I'd try over here

Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

A slightly out of size tire or bad wheel speed sensor then perhaps.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by unseenone
A slightly out of size tire or bad wheel speed sensor then perhaps.
Tires are new, but how can I check for a bad wheel sensor? Which wheel is it located? Thanks.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get this figured out? Did it ever cause any no start situations?

Quick Reply: LR3's three amigos - Suspension Drop, Brake, HDC Transmission fault... again