LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum tire size for LR3 SE without lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum tire size for LR3 SE without lift

What's the maximum all-terrain tire size I can put on my LR3 without rubbing? I really don't want to mess with lifting it.

I was looking at:

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 265/65r18.
General Grabber AT2 265/70r18

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have not had any rubbing issues with the Nitto 285 70 18's Posted specific part numbers someplace if your interested. You may have to reroute a couple of lines, to avoid any rubbing on them.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codemunky
What's the maximum all-terrain tire size I can put on my LR3 without rubbing? I really don't want to mess with lifting it.

I was looking at:

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 265/65r18.
General Grabber AT2 265/70r18

Thanks!
There is a nice tire size chart for the LR3 on www.johnsonrods.com that lays out all or most of the options.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks twoxred. That link should be made a sticky in the forums. So checking out other sites, it seems that overall diameter (OD) must be BELOW 31.5 if you don't want rubbing issues.

Unseenone, rerouting, do you mean tucking it away? Thanks!

I'm trying to see if the 285/60-18 will fit without the rubbing issues. The last thing I want is the tire ripping the height sensor out.

Last edited by codemunky; 05-25-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Mudding

I just put on the johnsonrods kit and GY MTR's 275/65/18 (32.07 in). It defininately rubs. Two contact points that I can tell are the outside bottom front and back corners of the front two wheel wells right at the very bottom corners. I think a file or mitre saw to the corner of the front bumper will let it clear. I'm going to put on sliders so I'm hoping that fixes the plastic trim under the doors clearance issue. If not, I'll have to file the metal there down too. I don't think it rubs in the back at all.

I've got two sets of wheels and tires so I won't be running them unless it's trail time, but it definately rubs. You can avoid it by taking slightly softer corners. If you crank it all the way it's a problem.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Mudding

For looks? Smaller tires are lighter and therefore have less rotational inertia as well as less unsprung weight for suspension compliance, result in less torque on your driveline, give you an effectively lower gear ratio, and leave plenty of room for some macho traction/snow chains.

So what are the advantages of big tires?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

There are good arguments for both sides of this. It depends on the intended purpose I suppose.

From a traction stability standpoint, the more rubber that meets to road so to speak, the better the grip. Another long debated topic is "airing down" This also increases the surface area grip. I don't feel like this is needed, unless a situation arises (stuck on ice, etc.), particularly if you already have oversize tires.

Generally, you increase the chances of hydroplaning on the highway with oversize tires, as well as increased stresses on the suspension and steering. You run more risks, particularly of tire failure with oversize tires, if you run them on rims not rated for the tire. In the LR3 DIII case, the rim is designed to accept slightly larger tires safely.

Airing down, would tend to increase the risks associated with severe tire cuts, rim damage, and increases stresses on the steering components of the vehicle. It would be interesting to collect statistics on breakage while on trails, and how many were running oversize tires (or standard), and if they were aired down at the time, etc. I think properly inflated is properly inflated, although there may be a "range" that allows things to be softened up to absorb some bumps.

My reason for oversize tires, is to increase the ruggedness, such as more plies (8-12) to decrease damage and flats due to punctures. Another advantage is some bead/rim protection to decrease rim damage. Finally that in the case of the LR3 stock badyear tires, they were never durable enough for the application.

Just a few unscientific thoughts on the subject, yes I am running slightly oversize tires. This comes down in the end to personal tastes, and preferences, as you can debate the pros and cons until the cows come home.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Mudding

I needed more cowbell.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

would this work, instead of the bells, you can find them here.. Bulls *****ŽBig Boy Nuts™Truck Nuts™Your Nutz™ Truck *****™

and fitted..

Attached Thumbnails Maximum tire size for LR3 SE without lift-p1fiber.jpg   Maximum tire size for LR3 SE without lift-truck-balls1239807103.jpg  

Last edited by unseenone; 05-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.