LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May buy an LR3 - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May buy an LR3 - few questions

i see a similar thread already but decided to start a new one, bc my questions are little different and didnt want to hijack.

cool site, btw, and thanks ahead of time for any responses.

im looking at some 2008 LR3. ive read on here that they arent the most reliable but i also read here that you can get a good extended warranty through Ford, so i may move forward in my search. ANY input regarding this vehichle is welcome - good or bad (especially regarding reliability / maintenance-cost). ive got a few questions andim sure ill have more along the way. this first one may seem silly, but still....

- i see it has 3 sunroofs. ive never had a car with one. it gets incredibly hot down south and i didnt see where you can really cover-up the sunroof(s). it looks like you have a shade thing that slides out, but nothing that really blocks the sun completely. with all the sunroofs, if the sun is beating down.....does the slide/shade thing (i dont know the accurate term for it), do the trick of keeping the heat out good enough? also...many problems witht them? do they hold up in a hail storm? how expensive to replace?

-are there any prevailing / re-curring problems with the vehicle. it has a lot of bells and whistles so i was wondering.

-another glass questions...the windshield. i saw it has sensors in it for heating the glass i believe. expensive to fix id imagine. any idea how much to replace? it holds up well to flying rocks or the same as any windshield?

- to change the oil....can any plae do it or need to go to the LR shop to do it? does it cost much more than regular oil change ($40-50)?

thanks again! the LR3 looks great and i want one, but dont want to spend a fortune fixing it and on routine maintenance.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

depending on the model some had cold climate which included heated seats and windshield and they are about two hundred bucks more then a regular one should they go bad. Kinda rare. But the oil change isn't cheap. the mileage interval is 7,500 miles. So you need an oil that will go the distance so the seven quarts of oil goes from 3 dollars a quart to 5 plus the filter. Most dealers shops will charge a half an hour as it includes pulling the covers down and resetting the oil light with a machine. But only the 08 and 09 have a simple function on the dashboard to reset it so it should be cheaper. But some shops now have handheld equipment that makes the resetting easier then hooking up a machine.

The sunroof you are on your own, some people open it a hair and some don't. Plus the window is tinted so its not that bad. But its florida so expect heat anyway.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NewRover08
the LR3 looks great and i want one, but dont want to spend a fortune fixing it and on routine maintenance.
Rovers in general are more expensive to work on and have routine maintenance done if you take it to a dealership than a lot of other brands. If you can do some of the work yourself and are willing to learn about the vehicle, stay on top of the scheduled maintenances, fluid changes, etc. it will save you a lot of money over the long run.

As a newbie myself with a much older Rover, I would encourage you not to get too caught up in worrying about the reliability just from reading the forums. Keep in mind that 1/2 the people posting are just ones that buy a Rover, have a problem, go to google, and then start asking about the problems. You will find this with any brand. Can rovers be expensive to repair? Yes. But they can also be great and unique vehicles that last a long time if you are willing to learn about them. Best of luck.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies. im finding that if the factory warranty is expired, then its tough to get an extended warranty. also, it looks like i cant get more than an additional 3-years tacked on to the existing warranty (costs around $3000 it seems so far), if it hasnt expired. im still doing research on everything, but just not finding a lot of encouraging things to point towards buying it.

however, it is actually the only vehicle i see that i like enough to buy (outside the range rovers - which are out of my price range). i kind of like the jeep commander but they have stopped making it.

maybe i will find an LR3 at a good enough price to go through with it.

thanks a lot for the info.