LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic Front Shaft Seal Excuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic Front Shaft Seal Excuse

hey guys I recently brought my LR3 in for some transmission work that required the transmission to be taken out to remove a pan bolt that I had broken on the front of the pan. Everything was good but a day later I noticed a spot on my driveway that wasn't there before. Took a peak underneath and noticed a leak on the transfer case. I brought it back to the mechanic to take a look since I know you have to move the transfer case to remove the transmission. They took a look and said it wasn't their fault because they didn't touch the "transfer case" and said it was caused by a worn bearing. Does this sound reasonable? I think they just don't want to do an expensive job for free. I mean I only drove it 30 miles after picking it up and it definitely wasn't leaking before I brought it to them since I was under it for 6 hours messing this the trans pan. Thank guys!

Last edited by DiscoFever88; 04-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Vehicles suck, often times coincidences do happen. So if could simply be that. I doubt they actually removed the transmission as there would be no need to for a pan bolt, just the cross member would have to be taken down which usually means the transmission is supported by a jack (they have these specially for when a car is on a lift, they are very long jack towers). No disconnecting drive shafts or removing tunnel housing bolts, etc. So assuming they did the repair the logical way, which would take less than one shop hour to do, then they probably really did not touch anything that causes the leak. It could be a bearing since a bad bearing usually results is seal damage and thus a leak. Or it could just be the seal, which would be much easier to replace.

Where exactly is the leak occurring?