LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfires/Terrain Module Not Working/Suspension Height/Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Misfires/Terrain Module Not Working/Suspension Height/Transmission

A ton of error codes with some resolution, but still not fixed

I have a 2005 LR3. The coil pack and spark plug was bad in #5 and #3. Both have been changed. There was also two valve cover bolts not fastened that have been fixed and attached and that resolved the misfire #4. We cut the cats and put a straight pipe on it before we knew the coil packs were bad and cut then EGR. Is there a sensor that we need to also bypass that will keep the vehicle from detecting exhaust?

It is running ten times better now but there is still a small miss somewhere. It also shows it's getting hot for about 5 seconds intermittently and then returns to normal. Do u think I need a new thermostat?

Anddddd ... it keeps saying low coolant but we had a pressure test done and it didn't show anything yet u could see on the ground where it was leaking. It also hesitates at times to actually turn over and start - u can hear it and if I wait about ten minutes it'll start again.

My ignition key also gets stuck and it takes forever if not the next morning to be able to remove it.

My suspension height faults and won't raise - I can't get the Terrain Module to even communicate with itself (another fault error &#128545.

I'm tired, frustrated and going broke from all the trips to the repair shops - nobody around here is apparently LR knowledgeable.

I LOVE my LR and want it fixed and to be safe for me and my kids - no more of being stranded on the side of the road or in my driveway would be a blessing.

A thousand thanks in advance for your help 🙏👀👍😁

Last edited by Harleigh; 03-25-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Not finished

Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Cut the cats out and cut the EGR. You will probably need to elaborate on what you did to the EGR. First response is why start deleting things on your truck? Hopefully someone else can chime in and instruct you how to get your, um "engineering" to work.

Low coolant message is a bad sensor and/or float in the coolant expansion tank.

Getting hot for a moment could be that it needs to be bled. Have you done any cooling system work recently?

Key stuck in ignition- what gear does it show it's in on dash when this happens? Wondering if it thinks it's in gear and won't release. Next time it happens try to see if there are any messages on the dash. Also might try lubricating with some graphite powder made for locks.

suspension- you need to get actual codes and post them up for us to see.

one easy fix if you want to throw a part at the truck is a brake light switch on your brake pedal. I have seen that cause some crazy suspension faults and also could be related to your key not releasing.

Last edited by abran; 03-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Low coolant usually bad sensor but OP saw it's leaking! Maybe that explains the low coolant message AND the overheating....

Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Low coolant usually bad sensor but OP saw it's leaking! Maybe that explains the low coolant message AND the overheating....
I read that as "can't see anything on the ground", my mistake!

Check water pump and thermostat housing.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I read that as "can't see anything on the ground", my mistake!

Check water pump and thermostat housing.
No we can see some coolant the ground but they did a pressure test and it showed ZERO leak ... visualization in all the hoses etc also as best we could tell was ZERO. Obviously, there is one somewhere ��

Old 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Baja

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a pressure test to show zero leaks, when you have a leak. Who did the test, how was it performed?

Hoses are not normally the culprit. If you see coolant towards the back of the motor that is most likely the thermostat housing that is leaking. Take off the engine cover and the intake hose from air box to throttle body. You will probably see pink color dried coolant on the plastic thermostat housing.

If not the housing it will be the water pump, that will show on the front of the motor location.