LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new brake rotors/pads --use dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new brake rotors/pads --use dealer?

I need to replace the rear rotors/pads on my 06 LR3 HSE. The dealership quoted $950, and a reputable (but not Rover specific) shop quoted $450. Is there anything that would challenge a shop not accustomed to servicing Rovers?

I would guess labor and OEM are the two biggest reasons for the difference in price, but half-off is pretty drastic. I plan to verify if the local shop quoted quality parts, but is there anything specific to a Rover to avoid when buying/installing new rotors/pads?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No, there's really nothing special in changing out pads and rotors on the LR3. Do a quick YouTube search and you will see the whole procedure is probably something you could do in a driveway in a couple hours. 'Atlantic British' offers OEM and aftermarket parts options so you could easily compare the savings.
The only 'trick' is that you should bed-in the parking brake each time you change parking brake pads (drum brakes inside the rotor) or the rear rotors themselves. But if you follow 'Bodsys Brake Bible' (google it) you will find simple step-by-step instructions with photos. Honestly, it is a very easy job and you'll have more time to do it right than a for-profit shop that needs to work quickly to be an effective business model. Good luck. If you have any questions, search the forums a bit, and post back if you need clarification.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Thanks, usmclr3! I appreciate all the information and advice. I'll do some research this weekend--glad to know I have options.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Here is the page for brakes on Atlantic British:
LR3 Brake Rebuild Kit: Order LR3 Brake Kits Online At Atlantic British

Do you think there's much merit for the more expensive brakes (there are four options on the right-hand sidebar)? The "recommend" kit is a good price, but I don't want to sell myself short.

Last edited by scader; 04-26-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 AM
Overlanding

There are A LOT of threads and opinions on rotor/pad preference. I'll give you mine but recommend you read others too, as results vary. My first brake kit was the cheapest available from Atlantic British (Textar pads). It was a complete kit but the dust on my front wheels was so bad I swapped out the pads. It didn't just look dusty but it was pitting and ruining my wheels. I put Akebono ceramic pads (sourced from Amazon) up front and that's all I use now. My recommendation is to use either:
1) Atlantic British rotors with Akebono ceramic pads
2) The more expensive kit (EBC has good forum reviews) from Atlantic British, including new hardware and the (2) brake wear sensors.

Whatever you choose, I definitely recommend downloading Bodsy's Brake Bible for tips, tools, and torque specs. It's not a difficult job and it's even easier when you have a professional-quality guide available.

Last edited by usmclr3; 04-27-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Corrected the brand name for the old junky pads
Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You're driving an almost 6,000lb truck. Get the best brakes you can afford.
I run Akebono pads and EBC rotors front and rear.

Rotors Front EBC - 3GD Sport Rotors GD1339
Rotors Rear EBC - 3GD Sport Rotors GD1340
Pads Front - Akebono EUR1098
Pads Rear - Akebono EUR1099

Old 04-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Overlanding

Well put. Thanks for the part numbers and recommendation on the upgraded rotors.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There are mixed reviews on them but I had no issues and by far the best prices from: http://thmotorsports.com/

Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Excel file re brake pads, disks, part numbers etc

This is a link to an Excel file I made up in the spring of 2011 providing part numbers etc for various pad, disk, etc combinations.

Four years and 65,000 miles later, I am still running my original Akebono pads - no black dust and they seem to wear well - and my 3 still stops. The pads still probably have about 75% left and the discs show little wear.

Re discs, I would suggest that you order disks that advertise the non wear surfaces are plated with some sort of non rust coating.

I was not that smart. As such, before I eventually painted the non wear outer perimeter surfaces with heat resistant silver paint, when looking thru the wheel spokes, the disks looked like abandoned railroad tracks - not pretty.

I later determined the factory LR disks did have a rust resistant coating, hence one reason for the increased cost. I think now, most good disks do have a rust resistant coating applied but they will still not be the cheapest either.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Excel file for Rotors and Brake Pads part numbers for 4.4L V8 petrol LR3

Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I find ceramic pads can cause noise problems and different in braking distance. I don't use EBC pads tho. Maybe someone who does can offer an option on this.

Ceramic are nice for reduced brake dust and extended pad life. I would recommend new rotors or at the very least a machined/resurfaced rotors if rotors are above min thickness specs.

Quick Reply: Need new brake rotors/pads --use dealer?