LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR3 key and dash display

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New LR3 key and dash display

Hello, long time D2 owner. Just bought a 2005 LR3 (120,000 miles) and going through all the things. Many questions but I'll start with these 2.

#1- When I bought the truck a few days ago it displayed miles till tank empty on dash. Today it started displaying MPG instead. How do I switch it back?

#2- Seller told me the remote fob doesn't work because it doesn't charge when placed into ignition. Is this true? if so, can I fix it? Also I would like to buy a second key for spare. Where should I go to buy one. don't necessarily need remote fob but need key.

Thank you...many questions to come.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

the button on the end of the turn signal will cycle through the info for you.

The batteries in the fib can go bad and stop charging. You can replace the battery but it's not easy. There are replacement complete keys on Amazon reasonably priced you can get and program to the vehicle.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:31 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey, thanks so much. And what about the actual cutting of the key? I'm guessing my neighbourhood lock place can't do that type of key?

Old 12-12-2021, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hey, thanks so much. And what about the actual cutting of the key? I'm guessing my neighbourhood lock place can't do that type of key?
You can probably find a locksmith to cut the key or another option that I did last night was just swap the original cut blade into the replacement fob. It's just held in by a tiny roll pin, I recommend finding the right punch to get this out as I battled with it for a while to find something in my tool box to work. I was a mechanic for 15 years and this is the smallest roll pin I've come across as none of the punches I had were small enough. You might have to shave a little off the base to get it into the new FOB but a few min with a fine flat file does the job. Most aftermarket fob's are not waterproof like the original one is so just be careful, original is waterproof to 50 feet or something crazy like that.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Most decent key/lock places around here can do the key blank for you. Programming it is the harder part usually. If you have a GAP tool you can do it yourself its very easy. If not a good Euro shop should be able to take care of your needs.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Amazon/eBay generic $15 fob
My local Ford dealer cut the blank for me
I then programmed the new fob with my GAP tool (at least 1 working key must be present to code a new one yourself)

Old 12-15-2021, 08:10 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Here is a little information about your key issue.

The fob you have is very important. Although it is not recharging you need it so you don't have to go to Land Rover and pay to have all new keys programed.

The fob has a rechargeable battery. Replacements can be found on ebay but removing the old one and replacing it is not for someone without good soldering skills. You may be better off sourcing the replacement battery and then paying someone to install it for you. There are videos on Youtube showing this process.

After your fob is repaired you can buy a 2nd one. Again on ebay. They are cheap, around $20. Just make sure you get 315mhz if you live in the USA. The physical key will need to be cut first. Then using the GAP diagnostic tool or a Nanocom the second key can be programed.

GAP tool can be purchased through Lucky8. This seems to be the go to Diagnostic tool for LR3's.