LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR3 Owner w/ Q and 1st Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LR3 Owner w/ Q and 1st Impressions

Hi!

I recently bought a 06 LR3 with about 58k (Buckingham Blue/Beige interior - love the color combo!) and have to say I am very impressed with it so far. After the 450mile trip home (bought it from a dealer in Ohio, we're in NJ), it was evident the original tires had to go (Goodyear HP's); they were loud, and the truck would vibrate at about 75-80mph. Had them replaced with Toyo's, which have been a huge improvement - quiet and smooth.

Only drawback with the truck is that it is out of warranty, and any potential issues may be costly; so far, only one has come up. When we picked up the truck at the dealer, they replaced the front brake pads (the brake light was on); we must not have noticed it on the way back, due to the loud Goodyears, but after I replaced the tires, there's a light rubbing noise coming from the front, which I suspect was there all along, (not easily heard even with the new tires, since the truck is so well soundproofed!).

My first thought is that the brake pads must be getting stuck on the rotors, since the noise only appears after applying the brakes a few times after the truck has been parked for some time. I've pored over this forum to find any other clues, and another possibility (but I think unlikely since the truck is relatively new) is that the bearings in one of the front wheels are shot.

Any ideas on what it may be? Is this something I could fix myself? Or is this a trip to the dealer, or would any mechanic be able to fix it without mucking up my Rover!

Thanks for all the helpful posts, and for any ideas!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New LR3 Owner w/ Q and 1st Impressions

Well, checking for bad bearings should be easy enough. Lift the tire at the corner in question off the ground and place some type of lever under it and give it short pulls as if to try to lift the tire. If you find "play" on the tire, the bearings are gone.

If you dont find any play, and you still feel its coming from the brakes, the dealer should warranty the work since they put the brakes on, EVEN if the truck is past the warranty. ONLY problem with that is, only the actual dealer who put on the brakes will warranty the work so it may mean another long trip. ANother choice is take it into your local Midas or pep boys or whatever is close by your house and have them diagnose the problem for you. Cost for diagnostic work should be minimal, if any.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New LR3 Owner w/ Q and 1st Impressions

Thanks Jantiz! I'll check the wheels this weekend for play.