LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me...trailer mode; shift cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me...trailer mode; shift cable

Greetings.

Proud new owner of a car I have always wanted. LR3, 2005.

When I am pulling a trailer the trailer dash light only illuminates, actually flashes, when I hav turn signal on. Should the tow dash light be illuminated the whole time?

Also, I have added the shift lock nail override to push the plastic tab in but sometimes need to push the gear selector forward to start the car so the cat knows I am actually in park. Or I can put the car in neutral with over ride tab and start car in neutral. I think I need to adjust my cable from gear selector to transmission. Is this simple? Should I tighten the cable? Is it an adjustment issue or a replacement issue. Thanks!

Thanks

Old 06-17-2020, 09:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

It should be illuminated when the trailer is connected. When using turning signal it should flash in sync. If the turn signal is on but it does not flash there is a fault in a lamp or wiring.

Lubricate the linkage next to the transmission on the passenger side (U.S). Its very hard to see it though. Do a Google search on LR3 shift linkage and plenty of pics will come up to give you some orientation. I just silicone spray lube bomb the area once a year. If lubrication helps things shift easier but you still have issues, then you need to replace/adjust the shifter linkage bushings. But lubrication often takes care of things.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer mode dash lights

The trailer lights all work but I only see the dash trailer light flash when I use the turn signal. When I plug in the trailer the trailer dash light does not come on.

Should I care? I’m pulling a 700 pound Boston Whaler.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ketchgould
The trailer lights all work but I only see the dash trailer light flash when I use the turn signal. When I plug in the trailer the trailer dash light does not come on.

Should I care? I’m pulling a 700 pound Boston Whaler.
Are your trailer lights LED?
You may need to add resistors to the wiring so the "old" LR3 tech really sees the trailer.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Is the trailer wiring OEM ? Can you trace the wires back from the trailer hook up and then behind the left rear taillight and then inside of the car to a plug into the factory wiring? (behind the trim panel)?
Is it programmed into the Car Configuration File (CCF)

And as Douglastic asked, are the trailer lights LEDs?

Brake lights and turn signals are funny on these things, and there are many things that will upset them (only a few will make them stop all together but every thing else can be an inconvenience)

How sure are you the issue is not with the trailer wiring?

Jeff

Old 06-18-2020, 07:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

My bad, I though the trailer light stays lit all the time when connected. Just checked owner manual, says it only flashes when turning. So not lit when not using indicators is okay!Trailer Icon - GREEN

The indicator illuminates as a bulb check when the starter switch is turned to position ’II’ and extinguishes when the engine is started.

If a trailer is attached to the vehicle and the direction indicators are used, this indicator will flash in synchronisation with the direction indicator lamps. If it does not flash, this indicates that a trailer bulb is defective.