LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new one for me....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default A new one for me....

Hi all. I have had an LR3 for 16+ years now, never seen anything quite like this before.

I got an oil change at the LR dealer on Friday....an OIL CHANGE. They do it at a really reasonable price and the dealership is near my favorite pizza place, so what the hell, right? So, I get it done, and I'm heading to lunch and I get an (amber) suspension fault. The rig is in Off-Road Height and so it's telling me to slow down and the fault is turning red which I mistake for a cross-art fault but it's not. Unfortunately I didn't have my GAP tool with me so I couldn't read it until later. It turned out to be a "not venting" fault. After I shut the rig down for a good half hour and started it again, the fault was gone but the Rover didn't know where it was. Switch was flashing and such. I finessed it back into Normal Height and all seemed fine.

Later that evening I went to pick up my kid from a friend's house. I got a random suspension fault. So this time I plugged in the IIDTool to read it in realtime and that's when things got interesting. The GAP tool would not connect to BT and I got every fault known to man! Suspension lowered of course, big F on the dash. CEL came on. Hazard lights flashing....Engine System Fault....oh and the temp gauge even went high.

I did a hard reset....all was fine after that. I read the codes and all of them were "loss of comm" faults. That was Friday; since then it has been perfectly fine.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
Houm

Old 09-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Sounds like a power issue. Failing alt, bad ground, you know the stuff. But thats my first reaction to issues like that. The venting could have been just a coincidence, but during power supply issues the air ride is the first to go offline (well, maybe heated seats).

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 09-27-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah...I did check that stuff. I've never seen THAT much stuff on the dash for a low power deal though. Battery voltage was 12.5'ish with engine off the next morning. With engine on it was above 14V.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is it a dealer you trust and had previous good experience with?

Old 09-27-2021, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Good question....I'll say it's a dealer that should be able to do an oil change without messing anything up, unless it's some sinister plot to bring me back in.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you happen to have a pending P0198 code and/or P0116? Do you have the amber "BRAKE" warning but not ABS warning? If so, check the oil temp sensor & wiring. I mention this for 2 reasons: 1. I just had this oil temp wiring problem with similar symptoms to what you describe; 2. The oil temp sensor is down by the oil filter on the oil cooler so it is conceivable that a ham-fisted tech could have damaged it during an oil change.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for that feedback, that is physically plausible. I don't have any codes now because I cleared them all. I guess I could check again for any pending faults. I don't remember seeing those codes specifically before I hit "clear." What I do remember is that every one of them were of the "loss of communication" variety, except for the Suspension Fault which was an algorithm based error. The Rover has been fine for 4 days now (knock on wood) but I'm leaving this weekend and my Wifey will be piloting the beast while my youngest and I are at a college football game 300 miles away. I can't afford any hiccups. I wouldn't make the leap that she could plug in the IIDTool and clear codes....she still asks me what the big yellow (HDC) button is.

While the 4 days of problem free driving makes me feel a bit better, it hasn't been very man miles or longer drives....but then again it wasn't driven far last Friday either, when it went psycho on me.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
Di you ever see any reason why this happened? I have the same problem

Old 02-01-2022, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Default I think so...

The suspension fault was recently addressed with a new drier.

The whacko Christmas tree response, I deduced, was a combo of a weak battery and plugging in the GAP Tool while the engine was running. I was able to replicate it a few times before load testing the batt and verifying that it was bad. That was around Christmas....haven't had an issue since.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My battery is new and I will see if I can replicate your situation with GAP

Quick Reply: A new one for me....