LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new one for me....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
....... I don't have any codes now because I cleared them all. I guess I could check again for any pending faults. I don't remember seeing those codes specifically before I hit "clear." ...
First thing I do once the codes show up when I am reading the codes with the Gap tool, I email them to myself (In fact, I make my kids email me when they read/clear codes on their Rovers as well). Makes a good log of events AND it lets me review them after I cleared them. But that is just me because I know I forget a lot of stuff .......I mean things.

Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by Rufflyer:
houm_wa (05-02-2022), SeattleDriver (12-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 11:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Yeah I should have taken a screen shot or two, at least.

Old 12-03-2022, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Sounds like a power issue. Failing alt, bad ground, you know the stuff. But thats my first reaction to issues like that. The venting could have been just a coincidence, but during power supply issues the air ride is the first to go offline (well, maybe heated seats).
This is what I was looking for. Yesterday I fired up the LR3 and it was below freezing so I kicked on the heated seats, heated steering wheel, and heated windshield. 30 seconds later I got the “Pressure increasing too slowly fault” despite gallery pressure reading 258psi and compressor temps around 120*F, telling me the compressor itself is fine. I was thinking it was likely a power issue due to the cold (weaker battery) and me running more high-resistance features than normal.

Once I got home I lowered the LR3 to access mode and then ran it immediately to Off Road height with no problems.

Originally Posted by SeattleDriver
Just another data point:

I plug my IID tool in frequently at the end of a drive while idling in my driveway, especially if I’ve done some maintenance, and have not had a problem with reading codes or looking at live values triggering dash lights. Twice however, I have had the engine start aggressively idling at 1000 or so rpm immediately after clearing faults. I had the same thing happen once on my wife’s XC90 after I cleared DTCs while it was idling. I agree with @DakotaTravler clearing faults while running can cause all sorts of weird behavior. In all instances of the high idle I shut the car off and it was fine on restart. With the LR3 the codes weren’t engine related in either instance.
And I forgot my own best advice, because when I cleared the above fault I did so while idling and got the same behavior: high idle at 1000rpm and coolant fan blasting. This wouldn’t stop until I turned off ignition and started it back up. At home I found a pending code, “P0116-24 (74) Engine coolant temperature - circuit range/performance - General signal failure - signal stays high”. At this point, since it’s pending and only just showed up, I think it’s a nuisance related to clearing DTC while running.

I’m just bumping this up because it’s a good reminder for anyone using scan tools.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In general, if your battery will start the car, it isn't the battery - this just seems to be a convenient excuse used by LR garages. Do make sure the contacts are tight but that's it.
Using the IID tool when driving is not a good idea apparently - read when the engine is stopped.
If you get the Christmas tree lights, it is NOT the software or new software modules needed. Once more this is one of the old wives tales from LR.
The design of their car softwares is simple though I use the word 'design' loosely. If the car worked when it left the factory then no new modules will make any difference.
The software modules are for each component (like ABS for example) and no matter what version they simply send messages across the CAN bus and read messages they are interested in. As I said though, if it used to work then it still does.
Ditto the CAN bus. Yes it could have problems if you have severe corrosion or something has come off but that's it.
In general when you get odd problems it is a LOOSE connection (since LR have crappy build procedures) and a loose connection on one thing can cascade and give fifty symptoms and hundreds of irrelevant messages.
The two main culprits leading to cascade (suspension lowering, gearbox fault, ABS etc etc etc) are
The steering angles sensor has a loose connection
The brake pedal sensor has a loose connection or dust inside it.
Lower the panel under the steering wheel and jiggles them as you start and when idling. Usually, job done.

I am personally fed up with the constant stream of bull**** from LR about these problems which all stem from bad design and bad build