LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

I know this posting has been talked about previously but I need new tires for my 06 LR3 - not an HSE. The Goodyears are shot (big surprise) and I'm looking at either the Toyo Proxe or the Open Country HT or AT. I primarily drive in the city and on the highway but do take the car to the mountains a few times a year. Ran into alot of snow last year that the Goodyears just could not handle at all. I'm looking for a comfortable quiet ride but something w/ some good traction in snow and ice. The Goodyears are 255/60/18 and I could go up to a 265. . . Thanks.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New Tires

You just described the perfect reason forbuying Good Year Silent Armors 265/60/18 extreme snow/ice rated.Check outany of the many treads on tires for more info on these.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B. Goodman, I just got an LR3 with Wrangler H/P's. Are you telling me they stink in the snow? I'm sort of annoyed (not at you, of course). Please tell me what kind of snow you had trouble with - depth, etc. I live in NJ and we have our occasional blast, but usually only a few annoying inches and then rain, which freezes and then more snow . . . . . . .

thank you . . . .

To answer your question, I don't know if the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's are good all year 'round, but I have them on my other car and they work great for the six months I throw them on.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I recently ran into a group of 12 new Rovers, Lr3's and R.R.'s while out wheeling in the Colorado mountains after the first good snow. When we met up the trails were icey and had about 12"s of snow and dropping at the rate of an inch or more and hour. As much as I hate the Good Year tires, they made it up to where we were on a pretty steep hill and they were all bone stock with new drivers driving them.
The trucks are very capable in the snow, the tires are terrible but did manage to get them up to us before they pretty much all got stopped/stuck and had to turn back.
So to answer your question, the Good years hold air OK but I wouldn't want t depend on them for every day cold weather conditions.
Might want to check out some of the Bridgestone Dueller tires, they are quiet, have the traction and hold up well.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Winching

Here is the skinny on Land Rovers and tires. First step... buy a Land Rover. If you are a member of this forum you more than likely already have.Step two, inmediately after purchase, get rid of thosetotally useles Goodyear H/P's. They are noisy, ride rough, wear out super fast andoffer no off-road traction. I changed mine out3 months after purchase. Got tired of getting stuck [sm=boohoo.gif]. Step three, unless you are one of those who will never take their Rover off road and want low profile tires with huge wheels, make sure you buy good "ALL TERRAIN" tires as your replacement, not all season. And last step, get used to seeing everyone around you doing this ---> [sm=hail.gif] the next time your LR3 tackles the off roads!!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: BGoodman

I know this posting has been talked about previously but I need new tires for my 06 LR3 - not an HSE. The Goodyears are shot (big surprise) and I'm looking at either the Toyo Proxe or the Open Country HT or AT. I primarily drive in the city and on the highway but do take the car to the mountains a few times a year. Ran into alot of snow last year that the Goodyears just could not handle at all. I'm looking for a comfortable quiet ride but something w/ some good traction in snow and ice. The Goodyears are 255/60/18 and I could go up to a 265. . . Thanks.
Nokian WR SUV come in 235/60/18 and are V-rated, have quet ride, and supposed to be good in the snow (installed recently on my wife's volvo)

Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
4wd Low

well, i took some advice and bought the silent armor wranglers ,AWESOME !first thing i did was find some nastymud !! minimal spin in places i couldnt attempt in the stock badyears
i got the 265/60/18
if your like me and unfortunatley see the road more then the trail , they are especially cool ....no noise , way smoother ride , and they just look cool , they make the rover look like a rover should , not raunchy knobby tires but just enough to give a 2nd look and wonder if you dont already know !
very impressed so far .
and if this is a factor ...my girl even said it drives better .... so if tires can make me and the lady happy , well imspeechless.

this tire was meant for an LR3 .. looks great and walks the walk now

Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Winching

Exactly what I have been saying since I picked up my set!!!

Also, new update on how my Silent Armors are doing almost a year later. There's a lot of debris on the roads were I work at and unfortunately getting nails and screws in my tires is a fact of life for me. So far in almost a year with the Silent Armors I've gone through 4 nails/screws in my tires. SO FAR, every one has been deflected by the Kevlar layer in the tire so that they only penetrate the thread at a very horizontal angle. Unscrew and keep driving!!! Gotto love that [sm=Awwww.gif].

Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nokian, yes! They also make the Hakepeliita, an awesome snow only tire.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:12 PM
4th Gear

Hi everyone. I just wanted to weigh in on the subject of new tires. Irecently bought my 2005 LR3 V8 SE with 28,000 miles. I have had it almost a month now. When I bought it, the original tires were shot!!! the rears were practically bald. I read thru all the posts here on tires and took the advice of Jantiz. I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors from Tire Rack. They are 265/60TR18's.
I will say that I couldn't be happier with them. They are very quiet on the freeway and perform well in the snow and ice. I recently was in the Cascades on some snowy/icy back roads and they performed very well.Jantiz also posted a very good article explaining the Terrain Response System. I have a much better understanding now since I am a LR newbie. This is the first LR product I have ever owned and I think I am addicted now!

Quick Reply: New Tires