LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:26 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Tires

Here is a link to photos of the Good Year Silent Armors on my LR3

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...55/t_=94470755

Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Adicted? Add me to that list as well!!!BTW, I took my LR3 to Yosemite during this winter and finaly got a chance to see the Silent Armours in action on snow and ice. There were lots of cars with chains on, lots of trucks and cars without chains on on the ditches and stuck in snow. I didn't put on chains and they performed brilliantly. I continue to be impressed. They still ride super smooth and quiet on the highway and NO FLATS to date!

I'm glad my advice got you some tires you are happy with. Every LR3 deserves good tires to perform its best. The HP's only limit the LR's performance. It's a shame LR continues to put them on the new models. They plain suck [:'(]

Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

I have been reading so many posts online as I look for replacement tires for my 05 LR3. I have read so many reviews and could not make a decision but I think after reading Janitz posts I am sold on ther Wrangler Silent Armors. Just want to say thanks for the thorough reviews and all the follow up posts. I have ordered them and will have them installed this weekend. I hope they are as great as you say...

I only have 1 question. My owners manual says the tire should have a load of 112 and the GY Silent Armors have a load index of 110. Should I be concerned?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling

I also, just purchased a set (265/60-18 Tire Rack) after reading the posts here. I had the same concern about the load rating of 109 vs. the manuals 111/112, and encountering the same cupping problem that the HPs demonstrated not being able to handle the weight. But Janitz quite ably address this in another post, and (not to talk for him) he hasn't reported any issues after 25,000 miles.

Though if your still concerned, Tire Rack has them (new addition) in 265/65-18 with a load rating of 112 for $30 more than the 265/60's. They are 1" larger diameter (31.6 vs. 30.5).

Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
6th Gear

I'm thinking to buy silent armors 265/60R18 same as yours. Are you satisfied with your new tires?
Your feedback will be appreciated. My original tires are 255/60R18 for 2006 LR3 V6.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Three Wheeling

They are great. The truck feels more responsive to the road and driver input. Also they are insanely quieter than the OEM. Especially for mix use (on and off road driving).

However, as I read in your post on another thread, you do not intend to ever take your rig off road? In that case I would take some time and explore the Continental CrossContact LX.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
4th Gear

I am very happy with my decision to buy these tires. I noticed a smoother ride and better gas milage (they look nice too). I got a nail stuck in my tire and I had the tire place pull it out and there was no damage done by the nail. I have not gone off-road so I can't comment on that yet.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Winching

The lastSUV I bought before buying my very first 4X4 was a Ford Expedition. I remember specifically asking the salesman to show me a 4X2 because "I had no plans to ever go off roading". I lived in Florida during the time I owned hat SUV.This is a summary of my off road experience during the3 or soyears I kept that SUV, which I never intended to off road:

* times I needed to do something or go somewhere that made me ask myself first if my truck could handle that terrain or that hole or that curb or that dip in the dirt or that wether condition: countless

* times I really could have used 4X4 but was able to find a different route around: 10 or so

* times I needed 4X4 and was not able to find a route around: 3(one of whichI got misserably stuck, a second time took some mild recovery to get out and the last was ok since I found some hard packed dirt to stay on)

* times I wished I HAD bought a 4X4 well prepared for anything: everytime I got behind the wheel after my first "need" for 4 wheel drive.

I prefer to recommend the Silent Armours even to those who "will never go off roading" because they perform just as good if not better thanmost "all season" tires out there, with the added bonus that they will still hold their own quite nicely off road if the need arises or the evil side calls to you. They also look great on the LR3. Just enough aggresiveness on the tread to say "I mean business" and REALLY mean business if put to the test. Simply best all around tire IMHO for those who don't expext extreme off road use of their Rovers. Let me go on record here to say that I do believe there are other tire options worth considering for extreme off road use. But that is not the subject for this particular tread .

Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: davidlt

Though if your still concerned, Tire Rack has them (new addition) in 265/65-18 with a load rating of 112 for $30 more than the 265/60's. They are 1" larger diameter (31.6 vs. 30.5).

Has anyone heard any reports on this size? I am wondering about possible rub.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Winching

test

Quick Reply: New Tires