LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Tires

i understand the cooper zeon ltz's are very good off road...how is the ride on the pavement? Better than, say, my toyo proxes (255/60/18)? I can't stand the look of the toyo's...they look very"low profile". But,Ido need a bit of pavement preformance...after all I ama"weekend warrior" when it comes to the off-road.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The coopers are great tires. Considering the agresiveness of the tread, the ride on road is fairly quiet, and very comfortable. There's very minimal tread noise. If you want a completely quiet tire with zero vibration that performs very well off road, then I would think the Silent Armours are more up your alley. If agressive tread is at the top of your list and you can ignore just a tad of noise, then go Zeon LTZ or Toyo.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: trynian

ORIGINAL: Jantiz

Awesome. You are one of the first people I know of using that particular size. Let us know how they perform for you in the future. I may be looking at the same size for my next set!
So far the ride on the road is as you have indicated on yours. Very good and better then the stock tires. I am going on an off road trip on the 9th of August so I can give a report on that.

The clearance is perfect since they are the same diameter as the Toyo and Coopers, but an inch narrower which is a bit better for my winter ski season driving.

They do get very close to the wiring harness in the left wheel well when fully compressed and in a tight left turn. That can be remedied easily enough with a few zip ties to raise the harness up a bit.
Went on an off road trip this weekend with the new tires and they performed very well. Had some areas that were about a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear

I've been following a few posts regarding LR3 tires. I have an 06 SE and my goodyears are on their last leg (22K miles) and am in the market for some new 'shoes'.

I was out with Land Rover on an offroad event this last weekend. I asked about 265/60/18 Goodyear Silent Armours and they said that they couldn't recommend them. And that I would need to relocate a suspension sensor or something...or that I could damage a sensor due to the different size and it would cost $400 - $600 to fix if I damaged it.

Any thoughts? I want to pull the trigger on the Silent Armours, but just have been nervous due to the dealer consistently trying to talk me out of it and using scare tactics.

Have you had any issues with your 265s? Do you have stock rims or after market?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ibeleve their is more of a problem with the 285 on the sensor issue with full compression while off road but only a few peopleI have heard of.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Winching

Ditto. Only the 285 has any issues with clearance and even then it is very minimal. The 265 should not rub anywhere. The dealer knows very little about tires that trully work with the LR3, proven beyond doubt by the fact that they put Wrangler H/Ps on there in the first place. Go with the advice of those who know from experience. There's plenty of experience in these forums.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Mudding

Being one of those that caused a problem with the Cooper 285s, don't worry about it. Just look underneath to be sure that the sensor wiring is routed away from the tire. It is such an infrequent thing, if you do serious offroad, then get the wider tires, and just be sure the wiring is routed away so that it doesn't potentially rub.

Tires are such a personal thing, and the selection is not that tough. Ask your self whether you will be offroad (climbing rocky roads, boulders, etc) or just driving fire/gravel roads and highways/snow/ice. If you will only do the latter, go with the Silent Armor tires. You will have great performance, and a comfortable, quiet ride. The more aggressive your offroad activities, the more aggressive the tire you need. I have over 20k miles on my Zeon's and I am very happy, and the minimally louder tire noise (over my Micheline Synchrones) is worth the tradeoff for a better offroad experience.

It's all good!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

I really appreciate everyone's help here. I am an occasional off-roader, but spend more time on the road. And living in Colorado, I am in the mountains more during the winter. I'll take the recommendations on the Silent Armors. I think I am sold and plan on heading out this weekend to pick up a set.

I'll just have to explore the wiring issue (not sure where they are located) but appreciate the guidance.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 PM
4th Gear

In a past post Jantiz, you stated that the best tire pressure set up for the Silent Armor's were 36 front and 40 back. At those pressure setting does the tire pressure sensor light up? I'm curious since the listed pressures are 32 front and 42 back.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Winching

I made an update to that post, actually. I re-visited the PSI issue and played around with different numbers. What I found was that 36 and 40 was just a little "soft" for the 265/60/18. Especially for the back tire. If I tried to load up theLR3 with people and gear, the back tires at 40 would show more deflation than they should. I have changed to 40/44. My only concern with going higher on the PSI was loosing some comfort on the ride from making the tires harder but once again, the technology put into the Silent Armours comes through to impress me. I still get the same smooth, quiet ride out of the tires as I did with 4 less PSI, plus I have gained 3- 4 more MPG on hwy, cornering stability is increased, weight handeling capacity is where it should be, but it's still soft enough to get that nice give "rap around" when I go off roading on rocks.

I do have all the intentions of changing tire size when I get a new set in the future ( I still have around 45% tread left at 40K miles ). I plan to go with 265/65/18 and get that extra 1/2" of clearance. WHen I do, I'll post again on wat PSI works best for me for that size.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question No, the tire pressure monitor does not go off at all at the PSI I have used with my tires.

Quick Reply: New Tires