LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a few brain teasing questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a few brain teasing questions

Hello all,
just want to say hi as its my first post and like most i suppose i have a few questions.
im currently driving a Volvo XC70 2008 AWD. I've had this for the past 3 yrs and its been completely trouble free.
Im strongly thinking of buying maybe a 2007/08 LR Disco 3 or maybe same year Rangerover Vogue or sport.
also more than likely will be diesel.

Ive done a little homework and im a little nervous as to what im encountering. Im a panel Beater so working on vehicles is second nature to me, and im also fairly mechanically proficient.
So ill throw this out to the forum.
Am i correct in looking at the big picture this way, as i see it the main issues with the LR3 are:
1. Timing belt failure due to a badly designed oil pump.
2. Failure of the crankshaft due to poor servicing intervals and poor oil and wrong oil type.
3. Turbo actuator failure do to wear.
4. EGR valve failure due to poor servicing and poor quality parts.
5. Sunroof leaks.
6. Air Suspension sag, Compressor/ air lines or air bag leaks.
7.Transfer box,Diff and gearbox failure due to poor servicing intervals and poor oil quality.
8. Suspension.

So as I see it, 2-7 are avoidable if properly looked after.
No 8 I would see as consumable, as with all cars just more so on these being as heavy as they are and id also include brakes into this,
no. 1 is a design fault , again avoidable if the buying knows what to look for.

I love the look of these vehicles, road presence, style and basically the stick a pin anywhere on a map and drive to it attribute that these things can do.

Am i being naïve in looking at them in the way I do?

Also how much of the work is possible on these vehicles without having to remove the body.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you in N America? Asking only because finding a 2.7 diesel here would seem difficult, plus the V8 is a million times better (I've had both). The RR Sport and LR3 are the same chassis. Unless you like the smaller more sporty RRS, the LR3 is vastly superior in terms of load carrying. If you're in Europe, then you're better off joining disco3.co.uk and asking your questions there as 99% of members own diesels. To your questions, the 2.7 and 3.0 diesels all seem to suffer from some design faults relating to oil supply. The 3.0 has a modified oil pump part-way through the run, but it seems you're looking at D3s, which were the 2.7. The EGR valves are usually and very easily blanked, because they fail and there's no benefit in replacing. The sunroofs don't leak but the drains get blocked and that causes problem inasmuch as water in the drains can lead to wet carpet/feet. The fix is well-documented and pretty simply to do. Nothing major involved. The air suspension can be an issue over time and D3s are aging. Expect to have to rebuild the front valve block if the suspension sags, and hope that fixes it (dead easy job; the rear is harder). You'd need to pay close attention to the air compressor on the vehicle you purchase as it'll give you a clue as to the condition of the suspension as a whole. If the vehicle sinks over-night, it's a problem. If the compressor runs frequently/continuously it's a problem. That said, when properly looked after (and with a bit of luck) the air suspension is great and reliable. Many people here talk about removing it and installing springs. I think they're missing the whole point of what this vehicle brings to the party; it's a significant retrograde mod in my view.

Turbo actuators can stick, but can be un-stuck. I don't really think no 7 is an issue by and large (not saying some people haven't had an issue with it, but I wouldn't say it's prevalent by any stretch).

Normal maint wouldn't require you to remove the body ever. They're easy to work on. Big jobs (broken crank) would mean an engine swap which I think is easiest done body-off, although I think some have tried to do it without removing the body. Again, disco3.co.uk will provide a ton of informed comment.

I've had maybe 7-8 LR3s and 4s. I've had all engine types except the 5.0. The 2.7 had the least power but can be re-mapped to make it quite punchy but the twin turbo D4 3.0 is light years ahead and in my view would be worth the extra few quid. I had no problems with my D3 but if buying now I wouldn't go there but instead would be patient looking for a D4. I probably over-maintain my vehicles. Whilst they're easy to work on, they aren't cheap to put right and can be very quirky (they're very sensitive weak batteries, alternators, after-market brake light bulbs, water, bad language, mice, offensive glances, etc etc). It's definitely a hobby vehicle compared to your Volvo. I'd plan on at least a coupe of grand per year (pick your currency) to maintain an older vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
rob bartleman (01-25-2021)
Old 11-28-2020, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pagoda
Are you in N America? Asking only because finding a 2.7 diesel here would seem difficult, plus the V8 is a million times better (I've had both). The RR Sport and LR3 are the same chassis. Unless you like the smaller more sporty RRS, the LR3 is vastly superior in terms of load carrying. If you're in Europe, then you're better off joining disco3.co.uk and asking your questions there as 99% of members own diesels. To your questions, the 2.7 and 3.0 diesels all seem to suffer from some design faults relating to oil supply. The 3.0 has a modified oil pump part-way through the run, but it seems you're looking at D3s, which were the 2.7. The EGR valves are usually and very easily blanked, because they fail and there's no benefit in replacing. The sunroofs don't leak but the drains get blocked and that causes problem inasmuch as water in the drains can lead to wet carpet/feet. The fix is well-documented and pretty simply to do. Nothing major involved. The air suspension can be an issue over time and D3s are aging. Expect to have to rebuild the front valve block if the suspension sags, and hope that fixes it (dead easy job; the rear is harder). You'd need to pay close attention to the air compressor on the vehicle you purchase as it'll give you a clue as to the condition of the suspension as a whole. If the vehicle sinks over-night, it's a problem. If the compressor runs frequently/continuously it's a problem. That said, when properly looked after (and with a bit of luck) the air suspension is great and reliable. Many people here talk about removing it and installing springs. I think they're missing the whole point of what this vehicle brings to the party; it's a significant retrograde mod in my view.

Turbo actuators can stick, but can be un-stuck. I don't really think no 7 is an issue by and large (not saying some people haven't had an issue with it, but I wouldn't say it's prevalent by any stretch).

Normal maint wouldn't require you to remove the body ever. They're easy to work on. Big jobs (broken crank) would mean an engine swap which I think is easiest done body-off, although I think some have tried to do it without removing the body. Again, disco3.co.uk will provide a ton of informed comment.

I've had maybe 7-8 LR3s and 4s. I've had all engine types except the 5.0. The 2.7 had the least power but can be re-mapped to make it quite punchy but the twin turbo D4 3.0 is light years ahead and in my view would be worth the extra few quid. I had no problems with my D3 but if buying now I wouldn't go there but instead would be patient looking for a D4. I probably over-maintain my vehicles. Whilst they're easy to work on, they aren't cheap to put right and can be very quirky (they're very sensitive weak batteries, alternators, after-market brake light bulbs, water, bad language, mice, offensive glances, etc etc). It's definitely a hobby vehicle compared to your Volvo. I'd plan on at least a coupe of grand per year (pick your currency) to maintain an older vehicle.

Sorry Pal, i should have said. Im actually Irish, living in the Emerald Isle.
I would say the ratio of diesels to petrol LR,s here is about 80/20 in favor of the diesel models. Mainly because of high fuel and Tax prices.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Whilst never wishing to push anyone away from there, do have a look at the disco3.co.uk forum. Lots of your countrymen there and some really sound technical knowledge, but really the only place to get the knowledge on the 2.7.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:06 PM
Drifting
Default went from Saab to Volvo to LR3

This is my first LR3 and I love it. I have had it a year. I have the springs instead of the air ride, which I am happy for. The ride is a bit higher and still very responsive.

I was worried about repairs too and my local mechanic said, what are you worried about compared to Saab?, Land Rover is at least still in business. I have repaired a few items on the LR3 and it was very easy and intuitive to work on.

Good Luck!
Christian