LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie - just bought 06 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie - just bought 06 LR3

Last week Ibought a '06 LR3 SE (V8 model) - I'll be picking it up this Friday (in two days). I really do not know much about Land Rovers, expect that I really like their look, luxury, and ride (at least during the pre-buy drive).The vehicle is still under warranty, so I'm not too concerned at present about mechanical issues, however is there something that I should know about these trucks?I've heard that past models were veryunreliability and costly to repair - I've also heard that these trucks are very sensitive to frequent maintenance such as oil changes. Can someone please provide me more details on what I need to do to keep this truck running smooth for the long run?I also have a '03 Hummer H2 which I wheel from time to time - I really love its ride and power both on the road and in the bush and it too feels veryluxurious inside. What should I expect with the LR3 compared to my H2 (other than fuel economy - speaking of which what does the LR3 get for mileage anyway)?Do mostguys wheel their LR3 (or RR), or are they more like a Escalade or equivalentintended as a luxurious road machine?

BTW - I'm in the Vancouver, BC area.Are there many others in the area that get togetherfor wheeling ormeet-ups? Below is apic of my new ride.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: newbie - just bought 06 LR3

Well congrats on your purchase. You will fall IN LOVE WITH YOUR NEW PURCHASE. I get 19-20mpg on the hwy and about 16mpg in town. Check some posts on tires. Can you wheel the LR3? YES after you take it out a time or 2 you will leave the H2 at home http://www.nextstepdesigns.com . I have been in both and I personaly feel the LR3 is supperior in the off road arena and passanger comfort the front H2 seats are plush. The Lr3 is more supportive. As for maintence just take care of it. If you tend not to have alot of problems with your past vehicles. That means you probably maintain them. So just do the same. I would get an ext. warr. since the LR3 parts are not cheep I just saw an altenator for the LR3 it was 600 bucks.I was just telling my brother I want another LR3 so I can drive it. The wife drives it all the time.
welcome to the family

Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dan,

Yes, congrats on your purchase! Like you I bought an '06 LR3 V8 SEfrom the States, and couldn't be happier! I needed a new truck since someone T-Boned me in the winter, and a nothing else out there interested me but the LR3.
I immediately joined this forum to get the inside scoop on whether I made the right choice and all I can say is that I haven't second guessed myself over the purchase. There's tons of information to be found on here and if you're like me, you'll want to accessorize your vehicle to the max! Oh BTW, I am in the Vancouver area as well. I haven't taken my vehicle off-road yet, aside from camping, but would love to if the opportunity arises. Like drzjoint says, take care of it! You can't avoid oil changes, in fact its a must to keep the truck running smoothly and not affecting other parts from breaking down. I wish there was a mechanical manual out there so that I can learn what make it tick. Anyways, enjoy your LR3, I am loving mine!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you just purchased one of the or "THE" most technologically advanced suv on the road and there is TONS to learn about it. Its one of those cars you learn something knew about everyday. As for reliablity, the engines are rock solid as well as the rest of the power train so I wouldn't worry to much there but, that is no reason to not take care of it. The only part of the vehicle that i'd consider its weak point would be the electronics... which make it more reliable but can be a head ache when they don't work properly. You have a 2006 which means you should be ok because, the first year LR3 was out, it had some bugs that still needed to be soorted out and they sorted all of them out by 06. Land Rovers are all about preventive maintenance so just take real good care of it and it will take real good care of you. You will no doubt experience a random light or something stupid occuring over the course of the ownership, after all it has about 30 onboard computers, something will have an error at some point, but most of the time it will fix itself. Most of the issues with the lr3 are easily repaired but, expensive, so i'd get an extened warranty if you can. Lr3s are great vehicles and will do some pretty amazing things, so enjoy it and please go offroading in it, you won't be disappointed. Oh I forgot to mention the EPA rates the lr3 at 14mpg city and 18mpg highway which is very good considering it has a 300hp engine and weighs 6k lbs.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You asked what you should know up front about the LR3, CHANGE THE FACTORY TIRES FAST. If you're driving it on those GY Wrangler H/Pieces of crap, then you still have no idea how plush the LR3 moves down the road. I just drove mine from California to Maryland where I will be until March in Military School, and what a pleasure it was on the 2,800 plus miles. Whwn I bought it new, it used to bother me how loud and jerky it felt on the road until I figured out what the problem was. I changed my tires when they were still brand new and what a difference it made. I have 40k on mine now and only wish I had the money to buy 2 !!